Chapter 4

Olivia ran as fast as she could into the house.

"Grandma, Grandma! Mommy has a date!"

"She does? With who?" Millie smiled as her grandaughter ran into her arms.

"Jake." Millie's smile dissapeared.

"That's nice. Marley can I talk to you for a minute." Marley was just walking in the door.

"Sure, mom. What is it?" Millie's tone worried Marley a bit.

Millie looked back at Olivia. "Liv, go upstairs and see Grandpa. He's got a present for you."

Millie sent Olivia upstairs and motioned for Marley to come into the kitchen.

"Mom, what's going on?"

"You have a date with Jake tonight?"

"It's not a date. We talked today and he invited me out to dinner to talk some more."

"Sounds like a date to me."

"It's not. He probably stopped loving me the second I broke his heart."

"Marley, how can you do this?"

"Do what, exactly?"

"Not tell him he has a daughter. He deserves to know."

"He does, but he told me today how great NYC is and how much he has accomplished. I can't take that away from him! He is going back there soon. He's only here to help his mom!"

"Knowing he has a daughter will not take that away!"

"Yes it will."

"Marley look at you. You have become a singer on the radio, just like you always wanted to! You've accomplished your dreams and you had to take care of Olivia by yourself! He would have you to help him."

Marley was getting angrier by the second.

"And what if he doesn't want her!?"

Millie was shocked.

"Is that what this was about? You are afraid he wouldn't want her. Marley, that boy was head over heels in love with you. Do you really think he would leave you if he found out you were pregnant."

Marley started crying. "I was afraid of that and I don't know why."

Millie hugged her daughter. "Shh... Don't cry."

"I can't tell him. Not yet anyway. I have to wait."

"Marley, I think you should tell him soon."

"I don't know how. Do I just bring it up in conversation? 'This dinner is lovely, oh and by the way, when I broke your heart after graduation I was pregnant with your daughter.' I can't do it, mom."

"Do it when you know it's right, but he does deserve to know."

"I know he does, mom."

Marley leaves the kitchen and heads upstairs to get ready for her dinner with Jake.

Marley is wearing a saphfire red dress with matching earings and black high heels. She grabs her black clutch and throws a few things in it. Her hair is down in loose curls, she takes one last look in the mirror and is ready to go. Marley had talked to Jake earlier and they had agreed to go try the new restaurant in town. Marley felt appropriately dressed since it was a fancy place. She walked out of the bedroom, and across the hall to kiss Olivia goodnight since she wasn't sure if she would be home before Liv went to bed.

"You look really pretty, mommy."

Marley smiled and walked over to her daughter. Liv was playing with her new present, a dollhouse. "I see you like the present grandma and grandpa got."

"I love it! It's so cool."

"I have to leave soon."

"You're going to see Jake?"

"Yes, I am."

"Will you tell him I said hi?"

"Absolutely."

Marley gave her daughter a kiss and hug then said goodnight. She made her way down the steps to see her mom.

"Mom, thanks for watching her tonight."

"It's not a problem, really. We are going to watch a disney movie after we make some cookies. I'm glad I get to spend dome time with her."

"I know she is, too. She really misses you when we are in LA."

"You should get going. Don't want to be late for your date with Jake." Millie laughed and Marley rolled her eyes

"Anyway, I should be back before you go to bed. Please make sure Liv get a bath and brushes her teeth."

"I will, go have fun. Not too much fun, though. I don't know if Olivia wants a brother or sister right now."

"Mom! Oh my god, what is wrong with you!" Marley turned bright red and Millie couldn't stop laughing.

"Bye, mom. Goodnight, just in case I don't get back before you go to bed."

"Night, Marls."

Marley walked outside to her car, she drove until she got to the restaurant. She was right on time, she saw Jake standing by the door. He looked great, wearing something a little more casual than a tux, but still complete with a dinner jacket. Marley got out of her car and locked it, then she walked up to Jake.

"You look breathtaking, Marley."

Jake was looking Marley up and down, checking her out. Marley didn't notice, she blushed at his comment and he held out his hand and she grabbed it. They walked in holding hands, they were soon seated and had ordered their food.

"Do you remember the first time we kissed?" Jake asked

Marley was surprised Jake brought up their relationship, he hadn't said anything about their relationship and she assumed he didn't want it to talk about it.

"Of course I do. Sadie Hawkins dance, sophmore year. That was the first time I actually believed you liked me, as more than a friend."

"I liked you more than a friend a while before that."

Marley smiled and they talked about their relationship for a little while, more 'Do you remember's' Their food arrived and they started eating and kept talking.

"Olivia wanted me to tell you hi."

"Well, tell her I said hi. She seems like a great kid, from what I've seen. Must be the mother." Jake smiled across the table at Marley.

"Thanks, Jake. I tried to raise her the best I could."

"You did a good job."

Jake and Marley talked for a couple more hours and after dessert they were ready to go. Jake held the door for Marley and walked her to her car.

"I'm glad we did this, Jake."

"Me too, Marley. We should do it again."

"We definitely should."

Marley gave Jake a kiss on the cheek. Jake was blushing, but Marley couldn't tell because it was so dark outside. The only light being a single streetlamp.

"Goodnight, Jake. I'll text or call you tomorrow."

"Okay, talk to you then."

Marley got in her car and drove home. When she got there everyone was sleeping, so she just went to change and go to bed. After she did changed she went to check on Olivia. Marley walked into the room and kneeled next to her Liv.

"You really are your father's daughter." Marley whispered to herself.