Chapter 10

*Deku's POV*

"Todoroki," I said, gesturing to the white board, "if you don't want to help me, that's fine, but don't tell me off. You have no idea how painful this is."

Todoroki stared at me with a calculating expression.

"Why not leave it to the heroes? They know what they're-"

"FOR THE LAST TIME!" I shouted, "SHUT IT! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!"

Todoroki sighed. I should not have yelled.

"Midoriya," he said, evenly, "I understand that it's difficult, but I'm trying to see reason with you. This search, this rescue, is so selfish. What if you mess it up?"

I exhaled. Slowly. Putting the whiteboard marker down, I came over to sit beside Todoroki.

"I am aware this is selfish, but this is Uraraka. I can't just sit around while the heroes 'prepare'. And you know that."

Todoroki sighed and slumped in his seat.

"I know. And I'll help you, I'm just worried."

"Yeah, so am I," I said, "But I need to do this."

Todoroki nodded, looking thoughtful. And then he looked up.

"Midoriya," he murmured, seriously, "if this works out, when we rescue Uraraka, you need to tell her."

I knew what he was talking about. I didn't know how I felt about that. Should I tell her? What if she hated me for letting this happen to her?

"Midoriya."

I looked up.

"I don't think Uraraka will want me to tell her," I mumbled, bluntly.

Todoroki darted forward and gripped my shoulders tightly, looking incredibly annoyed.

"Midoriya," he growled, "Don't give me that garbage. You know Uraraka would like to know the truth. And you know Uraraka likes you, so why wait?"

"I'm not sure if she's ready for something like that-"

"No, if she wasn't ready for a relationship, she wouldn't like you and try to get your attention," Todoroki snapped. I shifted uncomfortably. Todoroki shoved me away.

"You're just being stupid. By putting all this effort into saving her, and not telling Uraraka you like her, and being unreadable and unpredictable, you're being cruel and selfish. So, when we save her, you will tell her your feelings."

I averted my eyes to the ground. Was I being cruel, wanting to save her, but not tell her? I realised Todoroki was right. And I felt so terrible.

"Okay," I replied, staring miserably down at my hands. I felt tears press the back of my eyes, and I tried to hold them back. Damn it. Crying won't help. I was just so worried about Ochaco. Wait....Ochaco? Did I just think of her as her Christian name?

Knock knock.

Our heads shot up as a voice outside asked,

"Is anyone getting changed?"

"No," Todoroki called back, "come in."

To our utter shock, Mina stepped into the room.

***
"What?" She teased, "Is it so shocking that I'm here?"

I quickly shook my head, avoiding her gaze. Her forehead crinkled in concern.

"Midoriya?" She asked, "are you okay?"