Season 4 Episode 2: Telegram and Tea (Part 1)

The next week the girls ate breakfast together when the mail had arrived "Miss Cuthbert you have a telegram from Toronto" Mrs. Thomas announced handing out the other letters to the girls. A telegram? From Toronto? Gilbert? Anne's heart stopped as she waited for Mrs. Thomas to hand her the letter. She was almost scared to read it, when it was placed in her hands she read it quickly to put her heart to rest.

I am coming for you my Anne

Anne looked at in confusion, then started laughing. Why did Gilbert have to be so dramatic Anne thought. Then her heart stopped. " Mrs. Thomas do you know when the next boat from Toronto arrives?" Anne asked quickly folding the paper.

"This afternoon I believe" she replied curtly, she was a woman of few words, much like Marilla, Anne eeked before excusing herself from the table. She had to change; Gilbert could not see her in any old dress after months apart. Putting on a new dress that she had bought with her newly earned money as a helper in a mercantile Anne collected her books for class and followed her friends out, but today despite it being a very interesting day, Anne couldn't think of anything else but Gilbert. "What did the telegram say Anne?" Diana asked finally noticing Anne's distanced looks.

"Gilbert is coming today" she replied happily "Isn't that just lovely, no delightful no enchanting, exquisite, wonderful, brilliant "Anne rambled trying to find the right word as they walked home, earing a laugh and an 'Oh Anne' from her bosom-friend. Diana was excited for her friend; she had been in a slump these past weeks and this was the first time in a while that she was the Anne that she was friends with.

Time seemed to tick excruciatingly slowly for Anne that afternoon as she glued herself to the window. Anne continued sighing dramatically much to Josie Pye's displeasure as she grabbed her books and market out of the room. Anne didn't even need to notice as she finally saw a familiar dark curly-haired boy walk towards the door. She had been dreaming of this moment all day but did not expect it actually happen, what was she to do now. "Diana he is here, what do I do?" Anne gasped as she heard a knock on the door.

"Go down Anne" Diana laughed, seeing her friend stuck to her position Diana took her hand and dragged her downstairs and towards the door. "Oh hello, Gilbert" Diana smiled pulling Anne with her.

"You're here" Anne breathed softly staring at the boy.

"Hello Diana, hello Anne" he smiled towards the end, this was the first time he had ever caught the girl lost for words and was quite proud by the accomplishment.

"Hello" Anne whispered before running forward to give him a hug, catching him off guard.

"You both better continue this reunion in a more private setting before Mrs. Thomas returns. No suitors during the week, unfortunately" Diana added responsibly. Watching Anne continue to hold Gilbert's hand as they talked.

"Thank you, Diana, good idea. Do you mind if I leave my case here?" he asked looking around.

"Yes leave it there behind the door or you can leave it in Anne's room?" Diana added mischievously, knowing which option the boy would pick "this way" she replied for them skipping up the stairs.

"You haven't said more than two words since I arrived, are you alright?" Gilbert whispered walking up the stairs holding Anne's hand. He couldn't stop smiling at the blush that made residence on her freckled cheeks. They reached Anne and Dianas room and gilbert dropped it next to Anne's bed. He knew which one it was. "Let's go" he nodded, Anne nodded with him and picked up her coat.

"Am I dreaming again?" Anne asked as they walked out and towards town.

"If you are then so am I" Gilbert softly pinched her cheeks making her smile, he remembered.

"I just can not believe you are here, don't you have classes now?" she asked looking up at him seriously. She never wanted to be a distraction for his pursuit of being a doctor.

"No, the teachers are busy administering exams for the older students that we have a week off, so I thought it would be a good idea to visit you and Avonlea" he added "How have you been? Your last letter said that you were having a hard time?" he asked concerned.

"I was, but Diana has been such a help with French, that I think I am getting better at it now. I think I just was missing you and Green Gables so, even though I visit often my heart still breaks when I have to leave all over again you know?" she asked as they approached a tea-room. Gilbert always knew Anne as a fearless force that this more vulnerable sight was a new side that he was happy to meet.

"I am here now" he squeezed her hand.

"Yes, and you must tell me everything about Toronto, I feel that you were holding too much back in your letters" Anne smiled knowingly. Gilbert always got himself into adventures even without trying.

As they had their tea and scones Anne couldn't stop smiling. "I am so happy, you make me so happy" Anne sighed happily as he finished his story "and I am so proud of you Gilbert, you will be such a good doctor" she added before noticing both their cups were empty, she reached over and poured them both more tea.

"That means a lot coming from you, and you must be right, you rarely aren't" Gilbert added remembering their time together at school.

"What do you want Mr Blyth?" Anne inquired.

"Fine, fine you caught me out. I have come with ulterior motives, but honestly, I wanted to ask you something that didn't seem right to ask in a letter" he added, he was nervous as Anne observed him scratch the back of his neck.

Thank you for reading, please support me by liking this chapter! Hope you have an amazing day!