Season 4 Episode 9: Love Letters

Dear Anne,

I was quite surprised you had left so soon. It is very quiet without you here. So, I have no choice but to read up on schoolwork to fill my days. It was just been a day since you left so I am proud to report that I have already caught up on a few days, so hope to be almost back on track when my bed rest ends.

No, I did not get up to post this letter, ---- has been remarkably helpful ever since you left, so you must have made quite the impression on him. The boys have never seen him so happy so find the whole thing is rather amusing.

I do have to report that I replied to Winnes letter with a short congratulations, but I don't expect for further correspondence. Within that pile, I also got an angry message from Bash – who thanked you for telling him about my sickness, but he is rather upset that I did not do it myself. So if you go to Avonlea please check up on me. I also unexpectedly got a message from Marilla and Mathew and Miss Stacy, so please send my thanks to them.

Fortunately, my lectures expect me to be able to continue with the class and complete the semester with the rest of the class. Which I am very grateful for. Since getting sick and learning from the indigenous people in Avonlea I would like to learn more about herbal medicines and hopefully be a doctor in Avonlea so I think our plans would work really well.

I read the newspaper this morning and it said that with the finding of coal in Avonlea, they expect the town to grow rather quickly. So the need for a local doctor and another teacher is bound to be needed. Sitting here, exhausted with my books and without you, makes me even more ready to start a life with you. So please do not let the thoughts of anyone else dismay that. I also know that you left very hastily and I didn't have time to assure you of that. So please use this letter as proof.

I have so much to say to you Anne Shirley Cuthbert, so much to do with you, so please visit me again because everything here reminds me of you. Also, before I leave you to your studies. I want us to travel, even so, it be in Canada, I want to show you the places that I first saw with my dad.

Until then,

Your Gilbert.

--

Dear Gilbert,

Not that I didn't absolutely adore your other letters, because I did. But I don't think I have ever read anything so beautiful in my life. A life and adventures with you sound amazing. I have always dreamed to travel, but now I find that as long as you are healthy, then I am happy.

I hadn't heard about the coal in Avonlea yet, I hope that this time it is not a repeat of the time before with the whole coal fiasco. Because I do not think that the kind people could take another devastating event like that again. I have already started looking at teaching positions here in Charlottetown and have found a small school who is in need for a teacher. So, until you return, hopefully, I can take a position there. I wouldn't want to inconvenience Miss Stacy until I am more experienced.

Which means that unfortunately for my sake, I have had to also look into other accommodations. And that Mr Blythe is more complicated then you would imagine. I am actually writing you this letter to Avonlea, as soon as I returned home, I thought it best to visit Green Gables to explain to our families the situation. So, I have sent everyone your message. Miss Stacy is happily teaching but I think she misses us very much, as the class is considerably smaller and younger.

Baby Delphine turned two a few weeks ago, which meant that Bash was full of tears, he and Elijah and Dellie went to visit Mary so I think Mary would be very happy to have been included. I knew you were otherwise engaged with getting better so found Dellie a toy horse in Charolttown and gave it from the both of us. I am very happy to report that it is now her new favourite toy. So, you are welcome.

I too have managed to catch up with classes, with the help of Diana, and so don't have to take the exams after everyone like anticipated. I cannot believe I will be done so soon. Because once we come back from Christmas holidays it will be full study period. By the way, I will be in Green Gables next week, so please send any messages to that address. See you soon!

Yours Anne

Thank you for reading, please support me by liking this chapter! Hope you have an amazing day!