Anne with an E: Always and Forever (PART 4)

Anne sat happily sipping her tea. It was a warm summers day and so she found herself flicking through the newspaper as she waited for the morning loaf to bake and the children to rise to go help Sebastian and Marilla with farm duties. As Anne and Gilbert only owned horses and dense forests there was little to do except clean and feed the horses as well as collect honey. As she flicked through the pages with the stories and obituaries, a small box in the left-hand corner caught her eye. While she was young she witnessed women being given the right to vote and stand for local offices and boards but was excited to see that women wanted to be given the right to vote in provincial elections. "How wonderful" Anne smiled to herself. She would have to write to Cole who was very connected to suffragettes in Charlottetown.

After Aunt Jo passed away, she left the house to her family but asked that Cole be allowed to reside there for a short period. Aunt Jo also gave Cole a large sum of money and so he had travelled to France and beyond to study art. On his return, he bought a small house in Charlottetown and is now a prominent artist. "Gilbert look at this" Anne added passing him the paper and reaching for her pen and paper. "I must write to Cole at once" she added.

"And what are you planning on doing love?" Gilbert laughed wracking back his hear from his forehead.

"Well, I have to do something. Numbers speak you know, and I may be able to assist with writing something" Anne added already half of the way in the letter. "I think it is wonderful that women are not ready to give up just yet. The sky is the limit and the opportunities are endless" Anne smiled.

As the children ran off to go visit the farms and do their work, Anne loaded up the carriage and headed into Avonlea for some supplies. They needed more flour and sugar for one. The once small town was getting busier by the moment. It was hard to believe that Avonlea was once a tiny town of a mercantile, bank, church and post office. As Anne tied the horse by the road she heard her name being called behind her.

It took her a moment to remember who that voice was, as it sounded so different from when they were children "Anne, it is so good to see you" Ka'kwet smiled, before Anne stood a very mature looking Ka'kwet, with her dark hair twisted into a sensible bun and an elegant long dress.

"Ka'kwet is that you?" Anne asked finally, finding her voice. It had been almost twenty hears. So she was shocked to see her friend.

"Hannah now, but yes Anne. It is good to still find you here, I thought you would have been gone" Ka'kwet added in a soft voice.

"I fear you will always be Ka'kwet to me, Hannah. What brings you back to Avonlea?" Anne inquired.

"I wanted to remember the land and my parents." She smiled sadly. "I have my own children and family now Anne" she smiled, her dimples appeared, and her eyes lit up for the first time.

"I just came to collect some things from the shop, please let me take you?" Anne asked, to which her friend nodded happily. Today her student Jeremiah was working at the Mercantile and assister her in caring the sacks into her carriage. Soon they headed out of town. "Do you remember anything; is there anywhere you want to see?" Anne asked.

Ka'kwet smiled and nodded. "I wanted to see the pond where my father sold hockey sticks to you and your friends" she added. Anne smiled and pulled up by her house.

"It's a nice day for a walk, please let me get us some bottles of raspberry cordial to take with us" Anne smiled and disembarked and welcomed her friend into her home.

"Oh, Anne your back soon" Gilbert smiled before seeing who was next to her "Oh excuse me, I am Gilbert, Annes husband" he introduced nodding his head.

"I am Hannah, I grew up around here and was a friend of Anne" she added politely. In his head, it clicked and gilbert smiled and let the ladies to their adventures. He was instructed to collect them in two hours at the lake whilst collecting the children from their chores.

Ka'kwet remained quiet as they walked. Anne did her very best to stay quiet and let the girl observe nature. Ka'kwet's gaze ran all across the land and up towards the trees as if she was memorizing or searching for something. Anne wasn't sure. As they reached the lake Ka'kwet leaned down to run her fingers through the cold water.

"It's like I never left" she added smiling sadly. "But how much time has gone by" she stood up again as if gaining confidence. "I do not remember my customs anymore. I wouldn't know what to do if I were to live in tents, gather berries and hunt anymore" she added turning to Anne.

"I am sorry about what happened to your family Hannah. I did my best to come to get you with your parents. I had never felt so helpless in my life. I am so sorry for encouraging you to go to that school." Anne blabbered.

"I would have been forced anyway. My life is different now and we cannot go back to change it" she added. In that moment Anne's heart filled with hope for a second. She knew what she could give her to remember her customs and family. As Gilbert collected them with their kids in the back Ka'kwet returned to her usual quiet self. "I should go" she added as they arrived at the Blythe house.

"I have something for you and ill take you" Anne smiled holding out her hand. Together to her families confusion. Anne took the woman to her bedroom and bent under her bed to pull out her old suitcase. Inside she moved some things around but then finally found what she was looking for.

Reaching in Anne pulled out a copy of her article she had written about Ka'kwet's family and the hair ties Ka'kwet had put into her hair the day she met. "I would like you to have these" she breathed handing it over. And in a matter of seconds, Ka'kwet turned from a strong woman to fall to her knees clutching the items to her chest.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you" she chanted pushing them closer to her chest and shitting her eyes tighter. "Thank you, Anne," she breathed finally looking back at Anne. Bringing her friend to her arms Anne hugged her friend for a few more moments.

"Ka'kwet.... Hannah" Anne whispered "Your parents loved you, it was not your fault what happened to them. But please, remember who you are. Remember your journey because you are one of the most beautiful souls I have ever met" Anne smiled handing a napkin for Ka'kwet to wipe her eyes.

"It has been so long since I heard that name. Thank you" she nodded finally before smiling.