Season 4 Episode 15: Forever and Ever (PART 1)

EPILOGUE 1

Anne and Gilbert had 3 beautiful children, two boys and a girl. Mathew, Cordelia and Jhon. Mathew named after Anne's late father-like figure who died painlessly from old age a year before their youngest son was born. Anne did her best to stay in teaching and found it easier as her children grew older and had the help of Delphine who was the spitting image of a young Mary. After classes Delphine would come by to watch the kids, giving Anne time to mark assignments and do housework.

Anne started writing her story and at first, was unable to get it published, but after sending it to a new female publisher in Toronto found that her first novel was to be published. She finally was able to write about her life and her adventures. She only began writing it as her children got older and started taking on more of the house duties. But she loved being the mother that Marilla had been to her and that she had always remembered her mother to have been.

Gilbert, after studying traditional medicine was able to save many of his patients and has become a well-known doctor in Canada. Many of his patients were surprised at his dedication to finding cures and making their lives comfortable. Gilbert had done everything he could do to help save Mathew but, he lived a long and wonderful life. Gilbert decided to continue working in Avonlea after too many tireless years of counting to Charlottetown and has helped Avonlea grow into one of the best medical centres in the area.

"Dad look" Gilberts youngest son yelled from the porch of their home, the little boy's knees were covered in mud and cuts but the bright red cheeks and round brown eyes shone with pride. In his hand, he held up the kite they had broken the other weekend. From the looks of it, Anne had patched it up for him, with multicoloured papers. Gilbert dropped the briefcase and picked up his child propping him on his hip.

"Wow, it looks like we can take it back out soon then" Gilbert smiled ruffling his hair. "I hope you were not naughty today Matt" he lectured putting him down. The little kid shook his head quickly but grinned wildly. "where is your mother?" Gilbert asked looking around, the kid pointed at the laundry line. Walking around the house he saw Anne hanging laundry with Cordelia reading aloud in the corner. Wrapping his arms around her he pressed a kiss on her shoulder. Anne's hair lay in an elegant bun at the back of her head and gave no recollection of the two braids she had before.

Anne smiled and turned to see her husband looking tiered "an early night for you sir" she hugged him as their daughter started complaining due to the lack of attention and her parent's romance. Anne laughed as Gilbert walked towards the girl who looked up at them with wold red hair and blue eyes. If not for her nose and curls she was a replica of her mother at that age.

"Hello, my darling" Gilbert tickled Cordelia's sides. She had inherited her mother's laugh too. She was entirely a little Anne, much to Anne's displeasure. "I saw Marilla in town" Gilbert added helping Anne hang up the last sheet and picking up the basket

"Oh, she isn't sick I hope," Anne asked quickly worrying. Gilbert usually saw people as they came into the clinic, so she hoped Marilla was not in need of that. Despite, her old age getting the better of her day by day.

"No, she was just picking up some supplies as I rode home. I offered her a lift but it seems Jerry was to fetch her" he added. Their house had grown and changed so much since they first moved in, as they had to extend the house to accommodate their growing family. Now they had a formal Livingroom and additional bedrooms. The little cottage that they moved into was no more.

"I'll have to see her tomorrow after school tomorrow then" Anne suggested as they walked inside. Pulling down a teacup she poured gilbert a cup of tea and sat next to him. The kids could play outside for hours so in the temporary silence, they sat and enjoyed their company.

"You know what I was thinking today?" Gilbert asked, Anne, hummed intertwining their fingers as she snuggled closer.

"That day that I came to Charlottetown on my way to Toronto, you looked like you were going somewhere" he added, scrunching his dark eyebrows. "Where were you going?" he asked finally to which Anne giggled.

"I don't know. I was going to you, I think I was going back to Avonlea to tell you that I loved you" Anne recalled. She remembered running through the streets and packing her bag, but the destination had not been clear.

"So if I had come a moment later, you would have been gone" he added finally. To which Anne thought and nodded.

"I suppose I would have been, it was fate I guess" Anne kissed his nose. And that was the most magical thought of all, that fate had pulled them together and made them stronger to face the tomorrows and the unknowns.

 And that was the most magical thought of all, that fate had pulled them together and made them stronger to face the tomorrows and the unknowns