Season 4 Episode 7: Recovering with love

"Can I get you anything miss?" he asked referring to food. Anne could not think of food but asked for warm milk for Gilbert, the man returned with a tray of tea and sandwich along with a jug of milk and a spoon. Placing it on the side table Anne managed to shift Gilbert to sit up and opened his mouth to tilt small spoon full of milk to his mouth. She didn't want to give him too much at a time to choke him when the jug was complete Anne poured herself a cup of tea which was now cold, but she stomached it anyway.

Anne wrote a quick telegram and pulled out some coins, she needed to let Bash and Marilla know that she would be staying longer. Anne decided to write a telegram to Green Gables and Diana, knowing that they would be sure the information reached Bash. She walked down and asked the man to send them, he seemed happy to comply and Anne returned to keep dabbing Gilbert's face. She was exhausted but the thought of losing him kept Anne awake. In the evening she found herself in tears on her knees by the bed, praying. "Gracious heavenly Father, please give Gilbert the strength to fight this sickness. He has so much life to live father, please"

Gilbert awoke to the sound of talking, his whole body was stiff and he could see the doctor checking on him "My good lad, you are on your way to recovery" the doctor chuffed happily, but all Gilbert could think of was Anne, how long had he been gone for? "You need more rest but thanks to your lady friend, I would say your chances are extremely high" he added.

"Lady friend?" Gilbert croaked confused. The doctor pointed to the bottom of his bed, pushing himself up he noticed a bushel of red hair. "Anne" he sighed.

Feeling movement under her she looked up to find Gilbert sitting up and looking at her, "you will tier yourself" Anne worried before propping his pillow up she let him sit back up. "I need to get you something to drink" Anne muttered to herself, she poured a cup of cold tea and handed it to him, she didn't even realise she was crying until her vision was blurred.

Gilbert took the cup from her and found her hand, she sat next to him looking down and sobbing silently. She looked like a mess to anyone else, with her puffy red face, wild hair and crumpled attire, but Gilbert could swear that he had never seen anything so beautiful. She came to him. He drank the cold tea and grimaced at the strong taste, he placed the cup back into her hands making her look at him again. "I was so worried about you, you didn't write me back, I knew something was wrong. You were so sick Gilbert" Anne sobbed giving him a hug, "I thought that I would lose you" she added. "I need to telegram Green Gables to tell them you are okay" she worried.

"Allow me, Miss Anne, your nursing skills I must say are needed here" the doctor added "please what is the address and I shall send word now?" he asked. Anne was grateful that she didn't need to leave Gilbert at the moment and passed on the information.

"I am alright thanks to you" Gilbert breathed. "Have you slept at all?" he asked again worried. He felt so weak but now that his vision had cleared fully, he could tell that she was completely exhausted.

"How could I?" Anne asked. "they are sending up some broth for you to eat, I am not going anywhere until you are stronger." Anne tucked her hair behind her ear. Telegrams came back from Green Gables and Diana, who assured Anne that she could quickly catch up and that the teachers granted her an extension to take her exams two weeks later. That afternoon, Gilbert had drifted into a slumber so Anne decided to freshen herself up. She didn't want to be too far from him so brought his basin, water and her bar of soap behind the door of his closet and brought the soapy cloth over her skin. She was finally smelling like a normal human again and was happy to slip some new clothes on. As she tightened her corset she heard a voice clearing behind her.

"Anne?" Gilbert laughed, he was shocked to find Anne standing in her corset and petticoats in the corner of his room and decided to tease her.

"Mr Blythe close your eyes" Anne threatened turning her back to him, before reaching for her green skirt and white blouse over it. "I wanted to freshen up before you woke up" Anne groaned embarrassed when she turned to meet his eyes, she hadn't even started on her hair yet, so it lay in the same messy plait as it had before.

"You should have just gone to the bathrooms you know?" he smiled. Anne sent him a 'we have talked about this look' and shook her head. "I am okay now Anne" he pulled her closer.

"I have to leave tomorrow" she sighed defeated.

"I know" he added smiling softly. "Sorry you didn't get to see Toronto?" he added wiping his hair down. They had managed to get Gilbert cleaned up, Anne had helped to take off his shirt and placing the basin of warm water next to him to scrub himself down. His hair no longer stuck limply to his forehead, and the room was smelling more normal as Anne insisted on cleaning it up before she left.

"I don't mind, I came for you" she smiled. Even though she had gotten some more sleep she still looked exhausted. "You are going to rest for a few more days won't you?" Anne asked.

"Yes, the doctor prescribed at least another week bedrest, but ill still be able to do some reading to not get too behind" he added. He was sick and tired of these four walls that the simple idea of leaving made him too happy. Hopefully, Gilbert thought, I can focus on reading and forget about being stuck here. "But you, my dear are phenomenal." Gilbert smiled softly, he wouldn't be alive without Anne.

"And so are you, I just saw you through it" Anne added moving back to sit on the edge of the bed. Even though they had now spent so much time together, they had been so far apart. So Gilbert shifted to the edge of this single bed and patted the spot next to him, Anne shifted and leaned her head on the headboard. Slowly day to turned to evening, and later some of Gilbert's friends came to say hello, all very surprised to see 'The Anne' in the flesh. Standing at the windcill Anne looked around the room, now seeing everyone here for Gilbert she didn't seem so worried anymore. "Why Anne let us show you around town tomorrow," the blond one said, Anne had introduced herself to everyone but was far too tired to actually remember their names.

"That sounds lovely but unfortunately I must go back to Charlottetown tomorrow" Anne smiled sadly.

"Oh, what a bother" the dark-haired friend with a foreign accent added, he sounded like Winnie and Mrs Barry so Anne assumed he too was British. His accent was very thick and if she had the energy, she would have been so excited about the faraway lands that he had seen to get here.

"But just keep an eye on this one for me, and that will be quite enough" Anne added, "I am going to go get some tea, can I get anyone anything," she asked, they shook their heads and so she left to find the cafeteria. On her way, she bumped into the matron whom she now knew to be called Charles. Who was a rather strict man but he had a big heart? She past Gilberts post-box to find a stack of letters shoved inside. Reaching in Anne noticed that the first one had been from Paris. Who did Gilbert know in Paris? Flipping the note around she was shocked to find the return address to Winne.

Thank you for reading, please support me by liking this chapter! Hope you have an amazing day!