Season 4 Episode 15: Always and forever (PART 2)

EPILOGUE 2

As Anne lay there in pain, she was certain of one thing. She as not going to have another child. Even with the sleeping baby in her arms she had never felt such pain and did not want to feel it again. "I am so proud of you" Gilbert smiled kissing the crown of her head. Anne lay her head on his shoulder as she peaked at the sill pink baby's face. Marilla had insisted staying over to assist Anne in the early days of the birth. She was certain that Anne wouldn't want to be worried about keeping house in her condition.

"I brought you some warm milk and honey Anne" a voice announced at the door, causing the young couple to look up and smile softly. Gilbert smiled and stood up allowing Marilla to approach the bed. "Ahh good, the child is finally asleep" Marilla smiled letting Anne pass the child to her to put in the crib that sat in the corner of the room. Somehow it felt so unusual to be without her child, they had been inseparable and Anne often found herself talking to her growing bump. The warm mug was welcomed as Anne brought it to her lips.

"Thank you" she whispered, as they all had been in the room. Marilla smiled and nodded bidding the family good night. "Let's get some sleep before the little one needs me" Anne yawned as she downed the rest of her drink and placed the cup beside her. As expected they did not get much sleep that night, so Anne took the babe and sat herself on her armchair in the kitchen beside the fire and fell asleep baby in her arms. Gilbert had to be well enough to treat patients in Charrlottown and so she spent the evening tending to the child.

"What shall we call you huh?" Anne asked stroking the child's head asleep. "You are so gentle and well-tempered, unlike those twins I used to look after" Anne smiled softly. It was still early to tell which parent he took after, but Anne hoped that he would inherit Gilbert's curly locks. Morning came quick and she was soon joined by a surprised Marilla and a groggy Gilbert. The pair set to breakfast as Anne stood to prepare the tea and set the table. It felt nice to be able to move around, but she still felt in pain. As they ate breakfast Gilbert excused himself quickly to catch the train.

"Have you decided on a name Anne, your son needs a sensible name and not those ridiculous ones you used to come up with as a child" Marilla muttered to herself as she collected the plates and cutlery.

"Of course, but you know I chose those names for my imaginary friends and book characters and not an actual human being" she joked back, as they cleared the table. The baby had not stirred for a while, so Anne quickly bathed and took a nap as well. By the time Gilbert had come home bread had been baked, the floors had been cleaned and the house was smelling fresh. The baby did not bother Anne for most of the day so she found herself having time to enjoy reading a book when Gilbert had returned home.

"You look better rested, how are you feeling?" he asked, with Gilbert being a doctor she knew he was trying to check up on her, but after so long she had convinced him to allow her to see a different doctor deliver her child. But she knew she could not get out of conversations like this with him.

"Still a bit in pain, but I think by a week I'll be back to normal" she added "I have been thinking about names" she added looking into the fire. Looking up shocked Gilbert stood up and stood next to the fireplace, his hands were in his pockets and he leaned his back on the wall and lifted his eyebrow expeditedly.

"Mathew" Anne added looking up to meet his eye. A soft smile met his lips as he looked over to the sleeping baby.

"Mathew, I like it" he smiled nodding "Matt" he smirked, pushing himself off the wall to sit back down.

As the week continued, Marilla returned home and Anne looked forward to taking the baby out for long walks, and that they did as Sebastian gifted them Dellies old carriage. Her favourite walks were down the white way of delight, and soon she received an invitation to visit the Berry household as Aunt Jo had come to visit. "Come on Matt you need to put your socks on or else you will get a cold" Anne lectured the baby as she finally managed to catch hold of the kicking foot and poot the sock on. She put a hat and wrapped her son in a warm blanket. "And I think you look very handsome indeed" she smiled picking up the child to meet a waiting Gilbert at the door.

"I don't think he understands you Anne" Gilbert sang jokingly as they pushed the carriage into motion. Anne rolled her eyes and held the baby to her chest.

"Don't listen to your father Matt, you are a great listener aren't you" Anne laughed as they pulled up towards the Berry household. Anne was surprised to see Diana walk out wearing the latest fashion. She resisted the urge to rejoice but waved happily as the carriage was brought to a stop. She met Diana was a side hug and let her son meet her bosom friend.

"You look well Anne" she smiled "And so do you, what did you name them?" she asked not knowing the gender.

"We named him Mathew" Anne smiled placing the child in the push-pram to give her friend a proper hug "but Diana, you didn't mention you were coming to Avonlea?" Anne asked letting Diana push the baby inside the house, Gilbert greeted Anne's friend and was welcomed into the large house. He always wanted to give Anne a house as big as the Berry's but with his doctor's salary and Anne's teacher's salary, they would not have the means to keep a house like this running with all the staff that would be needed to run it. Whenever he asked her, she always seemed too happy in their cottage. The house seemed full with Diana and her husband along with a grown-up Minnie May, the Berrys and Aunt Jo.