Season 4 Episode 11: Rainbow after a storm

Gilbert Blythe tried to rearrange his wild locks for what seemed like the hundredth time. It was Christmas day and according to Bash, the Cuthbert's were throwing quite the party now that their family would soon grow to become the Blythe-Lacriox and – families.

The short journey to the house was quite pleasant, except for Sebastian's lecturing of Elijah on how to act. Mrs Lacroix sat bundled up with the baby next to Sebastian who steered the horses down the snow-covered paths. "Alright, alright I get it Sebastian" Elijah muttered shaking his head. Green Gabels was filled with laughter as they were welcomed into the room by Anne, her cheeks were a bright red and her green dress and ribbon in her hair looked very festive.

"Let me help you with your coats" Anne smiled helping Gilbert slip his off and hang it on the back of the chair "this house is not used to so many people, I am afraid" Anne joked letting the others defrost. Taking baby Dellie, Anne tickled her nose and removed her hat and layers. Dellie loved her aunty Anne and the stories she would read.

"Aunty" she mumbled giving Anne a hug, Anne smiled and brought her into the sitting room. "Gilbert and his family have arrived Marilla" she announced before being joined by the family. After dinner Anne took the marbles that Mathew had gifted her and challenged Jerry's siblings and Gilbert to a game. Anne being her competitive self-tried her best to win, but she found herself to be out of practice.

"You are really bad at this Anne" Jerry joked next to her, earning him a scale.

"Well I cannot be good at everything Jerry" she pouted back but smiled as soon as the words left her mouth she couldn't help but laugh. Anne was called to go help prepare desert so she left the game with reluctance.

"Thank you for having us" Mrs Baynard thanked Marilla who placed the cake on the table.

"It was no trouble at all" Marilla smiled "it was nice to have so many people in the house after so long" There was now a huge pile of dishes next to the sink that Anne knew was not having a good acquaintance with it, so took a pot and began boiling water, put on her apron and began scubbing dishes. She was too busy scrubbing to have noticed Gilbert stand beside her and started drying them.

"You needn't start that Anne" Marilla noted seeing the pair away from the festivities.

"It's alright Marilla, I am almost done" she noted, Gilbert added an agreeing nose before taking the plates to the cleared table. And soon the plates were clean, and dessert was served. Standing across from Gilbert, Anne admired how his brown eyes danced with happiness as he laughed with Jerry. It was like they were back in their old classroom dancing when their eyes met. Anne remembered her heart stopping and her mind blurring, as Gilbert looked up and smirked over at Anne, she remembered that feeling because she could feel it now. Anne's soft eyebrows rose in a silent challenge before looking back down to continue talking to Jerrys younger sister. "Mama should we dance?" Anabelle asked.

Mrs Beynard looked at Marilla, who surprisingly because of her good mood nodded, we can move the kitchen table. Anne excitedly helped move the table and was surprised to find Jerry holding a guitar " I didn't know you played!" Anne gasped in delight; Jerry was more mysterious than Anne had ever thought. As Jerry started playing Anne walked towards Gilbert.

And like that, a magical night became a perfect symphony of memories. The food, the laughter the dancing. It had been the best day that Anne could ever imagine, surrounded by people she loved and a sleeping Delli – who didn't know it yet. As the night grew darker, Bash helped rearrange the furniture and collected his family to leave. "I will see you tomorrow Anne" Gilbert promised kissing the back of her hand. They disappeared into the night and Anne turned to the silent house. Green Gables was acting as if nothing as magical had ever happened.

As Anne lay in bed, her body and mind were still dancing. Her legs were dancing and gave her tingles. Laying there in the dark she sighed. "What a day, what a night. How can I fall asleep after such a wonderful night" Anne muttered before her lips stretched to a smile? "How could my life had been so dark and painful, would I ever had believed myself if I told young Anne that she could be so contempt, utterly happy?" And turned on her side and closed her eyes, the images filling her mind as she finally fell asleep.

Thank you for reading, please support me by liking this chapter! Hope you have an amazing day!