Season 4 Episode 12: Bright days and light hearts

Anne and Gilbert walked hand-in-hand towards Church on Sunday morning. They realised that to spend time together they had to squeeze in little moments, due to chores and studies. And more often then not Anne would talk, and Gilbert would just listen.

"Would you want children Anne?" Gilbert asked out of the blue, catching Anne of guard.

Anne paused for a second, of course, she did but they were so young so not yet "I think so, but I may be later?" she added. Thinking of their children, she hoped that they didn't get her red-hair, and have to go through the same torture as she did. Un-intentionally Anne started fildeling with the strand of hair that lay on her shoulder.

"I hope they all have your beautiful red hair Anne" Gilbert smiled to himself knowing her reflex was a protective one, so he took her hand and brought it to his lips.

"I haven't the slightest idea what to do about you Gilbert Blythe" Anne shook her head and brought her hand to his elbow as they neared the church. Even though they were engaged now, they still could not shock the towns folk with romantic gestures.

"Just love me Anne" he whispered under his breath as they walked in, Anne had to sit with Mathew and Marilla so reluctantly she let go of his arm and approached her bench behind the Berrys/

"Congratulations Anne, Diana told us about your engagement to Gilbert Blythe" Mrs. Berry started. Anne smiled shyly, even after all the interactions with Mrs. Berry, her air still made Anne uncomfortable.

"Thank you, Mrs. Berry," Anne smiled back politely.

"Have you started planning the wedding then Anne?" she asked interested to hear what her poor neighbour could afford.

"I am not sure yet, I would love to have a small affair, but Aunt Jo insists on handling the arrangements," Anne added, which seemed to shock the woman. Apparently, Aunt Josephine was very selective over who to become friends with. Mrs. Berry nodded furiously and turned to sit down and wait for the service to begin. Looking across the room, she could already feel Gilbert looking at her before she saw him and sent him a smile. Sitting there surrounded by everyone she loved, Anne couldn't feel more treasured and special.

Sitting there in the buzz of the anticipating churchgoers, Anne looked up at the wooden celling, she felt calm, like someone was wrapping their safe arms around her, telling her that she was finally, finally alright. That her search for a home, for her parents was finally completed. Because in that moment Anne realised that she had to look within herself to find them. Look within her passion for reading from her mother, her father's kindness and love for another person. Looking back at Gilbert Anne found herself wanting to search for herself. And dispite needing to leave Avonlea this afternoon her heart was full, and her future looked brighter than it had ever been.

Saying goodbye to Gilbert was as painful as it ever was. But Anne knew in er heart that their future would be bright. After everything they had gone through as a child, in Avonlea and in Toronto were more than enough pains in their life, surely God was not cruel being to punish them more. Returning back to her boarding house, Anne began her studies again. She was going to do well for the future she decided.

Dear Gilbert,

I didn't know if I believed in a God or not. I didn't believe that happiness would ever be to me. Or that I would find a home and learn about my parents. I didn't believe that someone could love me and my little homely red-headed being. But you have.

So, I want to thank you, for opening my eyes to the real Anne. And I don't think I would have ever made her acquaintance without you. Before we talked a lot about planning what our next steps were. But I realise here sitting back at my dorm, looking at my stack of books and being done with Queens next week, that I do not care.

So, lets figure it out together, lets figure out what to have for dinner or where to live or whatever. Because sitting in church the day before we left Avonlea made me realise that for the first time, I was completely, utterly, passionately in love with you. So until we make these decisions, work hard. Do your best because I am proud of you whatever will happen.

Your Anne,

P.s – I got a teaching position in Charlottown, and Aunt Jo refused to let me live anywhere else. So please send your letters to Avonlea until the school term begins again.

Thank you for reading, please support me by liking this chapter! Hope you have an amazing day!