• 1 •

Paisley

Paisley

"She's adorable," Cadence says. She runs the pad of her thumb across Arielle's soft cheekbone as she lightly snores in Cadence's arms. "She's the perfect blend of you and Sebastian. His eyes and your cheekbones. I know I've said that several times, but it's the truth."

I smile, sipping my margarita. It's been four months since Arielle Fleur King was born, and damn, it feels good to have a margarita again. Giving up margaritas on Taco Tuesdays with my friends was worth it, though.

I'm grateful Sebastian and I could have a baby. Especially when I make eye contact with Cadence and see the longing, sadness, and happiness in her eyes. She's full of bittersweet emotions, and I can't blame her. Before my family fell apart, Cadence was set on marrying my brother, Rhys; she wanted to marry and have a baby with him. Calling off their engagement broke Cadence, but she knows she made the right decision—we all know she did.

In the end, Rhys failed to see how problematic his views were. He resented Sebastian and I's relationship while continuing to blame Sebastian's parents for the drama between our families. The way Rhys treated me, his little sister, made me sick to my stomach. But it was worse to see him support false facts. He still believes Célia, Sebastian's mom, made the fatal error of trying to steal our dad from our mom. Which wasn't the case at all. Before Mom stepped in, Célia and our dad, Henri, were a couple. My mom and dad ruined everything. They betrayed Célia. They took her heart and smashed it on the ground. Trampled it. 

The story is complex and messy, but Célia is not at fault. And nor am I for falling in love and marrying Sebastian.

Rhys couldn't come to terms with the truth. Cadence broke up with him. Not until after she tried to resonate with him, though. She thought she'd be able to convince Rhys and make him see the truth. But she was only disappointed. It was a shame to see their relationship fizzle.

Cadence and Rhys broke up almost two years ago, but they live in the same apartment complex in Downtown Montreal. It's difficult for them to forget each other. They're always passing each other in the hallway or riding the same bus. But no matter how many times Rhys begs her for a second chance, Cadence shakes her head and turns away.

I admire her independence and powerful will. I'm also glad we stayed friends. She's been a significant addition to the team at Sebastian and I's shop. And an even better babysitter.

"Well," I smile, "I suppose I have to take partial credit for her cuteness." Maybe I'm a little biased, but my daughter is adorable. Aside from Sebastian's blue eyes and my brown hair, she has beautiful, soft cheekbones, chubby cheeks, a button nose, and these tiny hands and feet. She's an overwhelming amount of cuteness.

Cadence scoffs, swiping a cracker and piece of cheese from the cheeseboard I prepared. She pops it in her mouth and chews for several seconds. A few crumbs fall on Arielle's fuzzy pink blanket, and Cadence brushes them to the hardwood. "Sorry," she says. "I'll clean that after. Anyway, even thought half of the genes in her are Sebastian's, I think you can take ninety percent of the credit. You gave birth to her."