• 40 •

Sebastian

Sebastian

"Why do I feel nervous?" I ask.

We're in Cadence's building, riding the elevator up to her floor. Although Cadence insisted we didn't need to bring anything, I put together a plate of assorted pastries for dessert. We also brought a couple of bottles of wine—one red, one white.

Paisley takes the fancy plate of assorted pastries from me. Then, with one hand, she adjusts the lapels of my suit jacket. It's navy blue and I've paired it with lighter blue jeans and converse shoes. Beneath is a white T-shirt. I wanted to be dressy but casual, and it appears Paisley had the same mindset. She's dressed in a white slip dress, paired with a delicate necklace and her Birkenstock sandals.

"Perhaps it's because you're feeding another professional pastry chef your pastries. Didn't you once tell me the worst judgement comes from people in the same department?"

I clear my throat. "Uh, yeah, I did. But that can't be why. My pastries are flawless." We exchange a glance. "For the, uh, most part," I add, knowing better than to brag about my skills. There's a certain degree that's okay. Saying my pastries are flawless is an exaggeration. There are still a few things I can't make to save my life.

She eyes me. "Is it because we've left Arielle behind with Célia? Has the guilty parent card infiltrated your mind?"

"Am I a poor parent if I answer that question with a no?" I ask.

"No," Paisley laughs. "You're entitled to not feel guilty. Fun fact: the first time we went out, about a month after Arielle was born, I was ecstatic to leave the house and socialize." She lifts one shoulder. "I was suffering pretty badly from postpartum, but it felt like some of the fog had been lifted. As parents, there's the odd time where we deserve a break."

We exchange smiles, and I reach out to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. "Agreed."

Paisley leans forward and closes the space between us with a kiss. It's soft and quick, and we pull apart just as the elevator dings. We step through the doorway and into the hallway. The first few steps are taken in silence, which is then broken by Paisley asking: "Any idea what's making you nervous?"

I wrack my mind for a potential answer, but come up blank. Something feels... off tonight, despite the evening being filled with nothing but good intentions. Cadence invited us over to get to know Griffin better, so we'll share some wine and stories, enjoy dinner and dessert, and then head home. It's a typical outing with friends. But it feels like someone is watching. It feels like someone's watching us. I'm uneasy.

"Not sure," I sigh. "Something just feels off." Rolling my shoulders back, I adjust my posture and loop an arm around her waist. Her hip bumps against mine. "Maybe it's just my anxiety. It's been a while since we did something like this. Whenever we get together, it's a more public setting."

Paisley eyes me. "It could be," she replies slowly.

Although it seems like she'll press for more information, she doesn't. Thank the universe. Otherwise, I'd be standing here chewing my lip. I don't know what's wrong with me tonight. Maybe the still weather outside is bothering me. It feels like a storm is brewing, thanks to the lack of wind and the unbearable humidity.