• 36 •

Sebastian

Sebastian

There are three teams left. After a shitty day yesterday, we're back in the kitchen early this morning for filming of the season finale. Morning sun shines through the windows, casting an eerie-but-golden glow throughout the kitchen. Everyone is quiet, sipping their morning coffees and rubbing the remaining sleep from their eyes. I am included in that generalization.

I'm leaning against the counter, staring out the window. In the distance, fog surrounds the mountain peaks. The remnants from last night's rain is tapering off, leaving colours looking saturated, almost ready to explode. The mountains and green forests are growing on me. I can understand why people are drawn to the natural side of British Columbia. When comparing all the places I've lived and travelled, BC has to bear the most diverse geography. Maybe, in the future, after Paisley and I retire and Arielle has moved out, we'll consider moving here. Vancouver bustles as much as Montréal, but there's something different here.

After a few more sips of coffee, Margaux joins me. When I glance at her, she's picking at her cuticles. She won't make eye contact with me. Already, I can tell something's off. She's nervous or there's something else bothering her. Looking back, she's been acting like this all morning. She's the one who will give us a pep talk prior to the competition. I thought maybe nerves were getting the best of her, but now I'm questioning her silence.

Still, I take another sip of coffee. With my sister, it's best to let her ease into the topic. Sometimes asking questions can frazzle her when she's trying to sort things out. And I can relate because the same thing happens to me.

"Sebastian," she says.

I set my coffee down. "Yeah?"

"Can we talk in private?"

A crease forms between my eyebrows, and I feel a pang of alarm run through my chest. Margaux is an open book. She's not afraid to speak her mind—even about the more personal stuff. Her asking for privacy while we have a conversation scares me a little. And as much as I want to tell myself I'm overreacting, I can't. She once told me, with a fair number of people surrounding us, to cover my snake. I think my concern is justified.

"You're not sick, are you?" I blurt. Hearing my sister has cancer or something terminal makes my insides feel icy. I don't think I could live without her.

Margaux shakes her head. "It's nothing like that." She glances over her shoulder. "But you're my brother, and I want to talk to you first." Her eyes turn glassy and she blinks rapidly, trying to deter the tears. "Outside. Come on."

I chug the last of my coffee, set the mug down, and wipe my mouth. "Okay..." I trail off, following her to the exit. "You're scaring me a little, Margaux. What the hell is going on?"

She waves off my question as we push through the doors and step into the hallway. I continue following her and not ask questions until we're outside in the morning air. Along with the musky scent of rain on warm pavement, the air has a salty tang. Margaux walks out into the sunshine and tilts her face to the sky. The sun's rays reflect on her black hair. She takes a deep breath, then expels it.