• 32 •

Sebastian

Sebastian

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" I ask.

Paisley is getting ready for a night out with my mom. She's dressed in a pair of black leggings, a white crop top, and a jean jacket. While I love the idea of Paisley and Mom creating a relationship, I'm wary of them being alone. Without me being there, acting as the referee, what happens if they start arguing? Or disagree on something?

I'd prefer to be excluded from a felony.

Smiling, Paisley inserts her diamond stud earrings. "Sebastian. You don't need to worry. Things will be fine. Your mom and I are starting over. We're both tired of letting my family hold power over us." Her eyebrows furrow, creating this cute little line between them. "We will not kill each other. I promise."

I sit on the edge of the vanity and cross my arms, watching her every move. She's applying a thin layer of sparkly lip-gloss with a peachy undertone to it. That's my favourite lipgloss because it tastes like vanilla. Suddenly, I have this strong urge to kiss her.

"Sorry, Pais," I sigh, rubbing my neck. "There's just... there's been a lot of drama and tension between you two. Forgive me for being skeptical. And I'm not saying the drama was uncalled for. You had every right to be upset with her. Mom didn't treat you well."

Paisley sets her tube of lipgloss down and turns to me. She cups my face and flashes me a soft smile. "You don't need to apologize, Seb. I understand. But your mom and I are really trying to make this work. I'm tired of feeling uneasy. Just like your mom is tired of walking on egg shells." Her lips twist to one side and she sighs, giving me a bittersweet vibe. "Also, we don't want to expose Arielle to this. She needs to be raised surrounded by people who know what a healthy relationship is. If we can't follow through on that, then we've failed her as a family. That's why we're going out for dinner. To fix this relationship."

I pull Paisley into my arms, inhaling the smell of her perfume. "Thank you," I whisper. "For trying to fix it."

Paisley's hug is tight. "Your family deserves a chance. Mine on the other hand?" She scoffs. "Good riddance."

"Sorry, Pais," I say as she steps back. "But I have to agree on that. The way they treated you... fuck."

She laughs and returns to the vanity, picking up a brush. After running it through her hair a few times, she ties it up into a messy bun. Every time she turns her head, her earrings sparkle in the light.  "It's sad, and I think it'll always hurt a little, but letting them drag me down means they're winning." She side-eyes me. There's a small smile on her glossy lips. "I have the life I always wanted now."

My cheeks turn a light shade of pink while heat spreads through my chest. Paisley always says I'm good at saying the right thing at the right time. There's some truth to that statement, but Paisley's better at it than I am. She just doesn't realize it. Whereas mine are meant to express my emotions and, in some circumstances, charm her, hers are always subtle. But, man, do they pack a punch. Right to the chest, but in the best way possible.