• 2 •

Sebastian

Sebastian

"You know," Dane continues. His voice is fuzzy through the line. "You've got a theme going on with your family names. Sebastian and Arielle? What's next? Eric? Athena? Seriously, Sebastian, where do you draw the line? By the time you and Paisley are finished having kids, you'll have named the entire cast of The Little Mermaid."

Dane's teasing tone brings a smile to my face. "You know," I mock, slinging my carry-on over my shoulder. I grab my boarding pass and wallet from the tray attached to the seat in front of me. With ease, I slip both of them into my pocket. The line ahead of me isn't moving, so I lean against the side, my back bent so I don't whack my head on the low ceiling. "It's concerning you know the names of characters in that movie." I pause. "Is there even a character named Athena?"

Dane snorts. "The hell am I supposed to know? You're the one who has a daughter now."

"Wait," I reply, layering my voice thick with sarcasm. "Arielle is my daughter? Hard to believe. I was a hideous baby. Not as cute as her."

"Hilarious," he drawls, sounding only slightly amused by our conversation.

The line moves. I send a silent thank you to the universe. Excitement is building in my bones. I've been away from Pais and Arielle for a week. It was lonely in my hotel room. Although Los Angeles is forty-five minutes away from Disneyland, all I could think about as I stood on the balcony, breathing in the humid air, was a future trip there. With Paisley and Arielle.

"I know, right?" I grin. "Sometimes, I think I should've become a comedian instead of a pastry chef or French tutor. Sadly, Dane, the crowd wouldn't have been able to handle my jokes. They would've died from laughter."

"Yes," he replies. "That's exactly why you became a pastry chef."

I chuckle, edging my way forward. I'm so close to the person ahead of me, my chest is almost touching their backpack. I should respect personal boundaries, but I feel the need to shove my way forward. Without a second thought, I step ahead with the line, cutting off the person beside me. The man shoots me a dirty glare and mutters profanity. His comment bounces off of me like rubber. All I care about is the fact that I'm one step closer to seeing Paisley and Arielle.

Truth be told, I'm still not accustomed to calling Paisley my wife. I'm still not accustomed to holding a baby we produced out of love. And I don't care if I never get used to it. With them, my life is a bliss-filled blur.

Changing the subject, I ask Dane, "When are you and Dani coming to visit?"

Dane sighs. I can picture him tapping his foot against the floor as he tries to come up with an answer. "I'm not sure, man. Dani's restaurant has been busy; her reputation as a chef precedes her. Every night, the restaurant is bursting. Drink orders are through the roof. Imagine how Dani feels. It's difficult to take time off, but we're trying. Dani wants to see Arielle again."