• 6 •

Sebastian

Sebastian

I'm excited to spend a month on the West Coast. The East Coast has been a popular vacation spot for my family and I in the past. Travelling somewhere new with Paisley, Arielle, and Mom has me feeling giddy.

The flight went well. Arielle slept almost the whole flight. She woke up a few times to eat or have her diaper changed. There was some crying. Not enough to gain death glares from other passengers.

While Arielle was sleeping, in either mine or Paisley's arms, we did research on Vancouver. We learned the West Coast has relaxed city-beach vibes. There's fresh and local food around every corner. A plethora of outdoor activities, consisting from swimming in the ocean to hiking. There's even a multicultural mecca.

Now, as we drive to the duplex we're renting, I can verify those websites we searched.

Vancouver is gorgeous.

As soon as we stepped off of the plane and onto the tarmac, I noticed the mountains. They make British Columbia substantially different from Québec. Mountains surrounding the ocean? Spectacular. The salty, musky ocean smells? Bliss. I'm even enjoying the humidity. To me, Vancouver is a different world. One I don't want to leave. The temperate climate and the smell of seawater. The mist-capped mountains...

I'm in love with BC.

Rather than staying in a hotel for two months, we're renting a duplex on the outskirts of Downtown Vancouver. Paisley, Arielle, and I are living in one side. The other half goes to Dani, Margaux, and Cadence. Mom is staying in an apartment in a nearby neighbourhood. With Paisley's approval, I tried to convince Mom to stay with us. She declined, stating Paisley and I have our own family now. That we need our space.

I suppose Mom's correct. Sleeping is difficult for Arielle. Naps work well for her. Nights? Not so much. She's a light sleeper, and she's always hungry. Besides, Mom will deal with Arielle while Paisley and I are competing. Evenings and nights should be time for her to unwind, anyway.

Renting out a duplex was an excellent idea. We'll save tons of money by having our own kitchens. We're close enough to the transit system. Unless we decide to travel to areas like Squamish or Whistler to do some sight-seeing. I hope we do.

I'm looking forward to spending time with my family. To exploring parts of BC.

The anticipation of the upcoming competition is getting to me, too. Last time I competed as a pastry chef was just after high school graduation. Since then, I haven't tested my skills much. Lack of practice aside, I know I have the skills. All I need to do is refresh my memory; become familiar with the pressure and speed and cutthroat of competition.

"When did you say the first meeting was?" Paisley asks as she unpacks her suitcase. She folds a pair of leggings and slides them into the open drawer in the dresser.