• 34 •

Sebastian

Sebastian

We're down to four teams, and I'm losing interest in winning this competition. All I want to do is get home and start living life again. While this experience has been great, and many good things have come from it, there are many events I'm looking forward to. Such as Dani and Dane's wedding. It won't be for a while, but I want to help them plan. I already have a design in mind for their free wedding cake, too. It'll correlate with Dani's bouquet. If Paisley will work with my idea, that is.

I'll never force my ideas on her because she's creative and staunching that would make me an asshole. Plus, her take on flowers is a million times better than mine. If I have to adjust the design of my cake, then so be it. I'm okay with that.

Aside from that, there are small things to look forward to, too. Settling back in our home. Having Antonin maybe propose to Margaux or vice versa. Mom and Paisley getting along. Arielle's birthday. Cadence finding someone who isn't an asshole like Rhys and lives close to Montréal. Things look good for everyone.

What makes me the happiest, though, is seeing Paisley happy again. She's like a breath of fresh air, and the happiness radiates off of her, filling every space she occupies with golden sunshine. There's nothing I love more than seeing her happy.

While we wait for the judges and camera crew to get set up, we loiter around the kitchen. Dane's tagged along today, so he and Dani are chatting in the far corner. Cadence is over at Griffin's station. She's leaning over the counter, her long hair falling around her face. Every so often, I glimpse her smile.

To my left, Paisley nudges me. "I bet Cadence invites Griffin over tonight."

I cock my head to the side and watch as the two continue to exchange words. They're oblivious to their surroundings, and it stirs up some old memories.

My mouth pinches to one side. "They remind me of another couple I know."

Her eyes find mine, and there's a sardonic grin on her full lips. "We were more secretive."

"Yet oblivious to the world surrounding us. Pais, we used to meet up in the middle of a park. Hiding in the trees and jumping whenever a branch cracked because we were afraid our families had caught on and followed us. I thought for sure they'd catch us when news travelled about some idiot going after a patio umbrella in the pond."

Paisley giggles. "Okay, fine. We did our best... until the hockey game."

My mouth quirks at the side. I run a hand through my hair. "That was not our best moment."

She gazes at Cadence and Griffin for a moment. Then looks at me. "Sometimes I wish you would've punched my brother back. I know that's not in your character, which is one reason I love you. It's just..." She taps her bottom lip with her pointer finger. "I don't know. Looking back, I feel like we could've been more powerful. Why did we return to our homes when we could've stayed out all night? You know what I mean?"