• 30 •

Sebastian

Sebastian

By the time I've placed my order for salad rolls, Paisley's surgery is already complete. Dani keeps texting me with updates. Paisley's sleeping and Dani is sitting next to her in the recovery room. Having Dani there puts my mind at ease. She's giving Paisley the support I can't. I owe my cousin. Though Dani will insist I owe her nothing. I'll have to make it up to her somehow. I'm just that kind of person.

After a twenty-five minute wait, the restaurant hands me my order. Three bags full of enough food to feed everyone at the duplex—with an extra order of salad rolls for Paisley. It's still early, and I don't think anyone is keen on cooking dinner with the temperature being so high today. The air conditioner keeps crapping out every fifteen minutes, too. Tomorrow is also when the competition picks up again. We need sustenance and rest.

If Paisley is too tired to compete, Dane will take her place. Prior to moving to Vegas with Dani, he helped Paisley on her end of the store for a few months. We've already cleared him filling in for Paisley with the crew. They were compassionate when I explained the situation, and they offered support in whichever ways they could. Paisley will love the bouquet they sent over to the duplex. If she's not too loopy when we arrive.

The sun beats on my neck as I walk down the sidewalk. Sweat trickles down, soaking the collar of my shirt. Today's a hot day for average Vancouver weather. In the car, I blast air conditioning.

The drive back seems long, and I can't help but wonder if it's my emotions. Today's been a rough day. For both Paisley and me. I'm not comparing our situations. This was Paisley's decision, and I will support her forever. Part of me is sad, though.

I want Arielle to have a sibling. A sibling made my life better. Although we fought and got on each other's nerves, Margaux and I love each other. She's a brilliant sister and I love spending time with her. When we were kids, we always entertained ourselves. We'd play video games, attend swimming lessons, try to make cupcakes—whatever kids do when their imaginations aren't limited. Siblings are companions. You never stop loving them.

Even if I want a bigger family, it is up to Paisley. All I know is my feelings are valid. I can feel sad while supporting my wife. It's only natural.

When I arrive at the clinic, I park in a shaded area and lodge the food beneath the seat. Paisley's been in there for about fifty minutes now. Leaving the food in the vehicle for five to ten minutes shouldn't cause it to spoil. If it does, Paisley will not be a happy camper. She needs her salad rolls with extra peanut sauce. Not having them would also be detrimental to my ego. She would hold this fault over my head for years. Especially after driving me so far for my damn milkshake.

Pocketing the keys, I push through the door and welcome the wave of air conditioning. It eases the sweat pooling at the nape of my neck. Inside, the volume of people has significantly deteriorated. Soft music flitters through the air. When I reach the front desk, the lady welcomes me with a big smile, and within minutes, I'm being ushered through the back door.