Mother Nature is a Bit of a Bitch

"Oh my god, Damon," I cried, kneelings next to him, placing my hand on the angry red welt that had begun turning a dark shade of purple.

Katherine, though, eyed him with morbid fascination, "So that's what a werewolf bite looks like," she murmured as if she were looking over a piece of art at a museum and not a person.

"Yep," Damon responded tiredly.

"It's not that bad," I said, trying to look at the glass half full. I mean, I had to. It was either that or accept the fact Damon and Elena might die tonight, and all I got could do was sit around in this shitty apartment and wait until Klaus let me leave.

"Will be," Damon sighed, pulling down his sleeve. The thing that bothered me, though, was the fact he didn't even seem scared. Like he'd already accepted his fate. His skin was pale and glistening with sweat, making me realize just how little time he may have left.

Katherine sighed, tracing her hand along the bumps and ridges of the counter, "So... that's it? You're just going... to die?"

Damon, the smart ass he is, responded, "Well, that depends. Know anything about a cure?"

Katherine sighed, not bothering to respond. No one knew anything about a cure. And somehow that was the worst part, the fact that all I could do was watch him die. He was literally helpless, and somehow that just made me feel useless.

I Katherine spoke, "145 years and... no last goodbye?" Her eyes were clouded with over 5 centuries of mistakes, ones that I soon noticed she'd regretted deeply. She didn't want Damon to die hating her.

Damon was beginning to put on his jacket, ignoring her. "You don't get a goodbye," He spoke, not bothering to meet her eyes.

Katherine sped in front of him, "No. Don't leave mad."

"Us ending up on good terms isn't exactly on my bucket list, Katherine." Damon reasoned with a smart ass look across his face.

"Klaus made her call Jenna to lure her out," I tried to reason. I felt bad for Katherine. I think she just wanted redemption.

"There was nothing I could do, I didn't have a choice," She explained.

"That's why I gave you the vervain," Damon spoke softly, "So you would have a choice. I helped you, you owed me," And now I was back on team Damon. I was getting whiplash from all of this, "Now when Klaus dies, You're going to walk out of here without a scratch, and Elena's aunt dies," he snapped, "Somehow you're the only one that wins,"

"I didn't let love get in the way," Katherine murmured, meeting his eyes with a hardened glare. And then I saw it, the side Damon had run screaming from. It made sense, but at the same time, I saw Damon's wanting to accept her apology.

"Enjoy eternity alone, Katherine."

___________

I woke up the next night, my head feeling like someone had panini pressed it. Light shinned in my eyes, causing me to groan in pain. My entire body hurt for no apparent reason. It was only when I noticed the half-empty bottle of tequila, did my face fall. Why did I get drunk? Two of my best friends might have died and I'm here waking up with a hangover?

I took a deep breath and heaved myself up with a huff, staggering over to a rather dead looking Katherine. I got down on my knees, considering she was passed out on the rug. I shook her gently, "Hey, Kathrine, wake up." I hissed. She groaned, turning away from me.

"We need to leave, Katherine," I hissed impatiently, "I can barely hold a jug of milk, I can't help you stand up," When she didn't move, I shook my head and decided I'd just leave on my own. I grabbed my purse, which I had found lying in the corner of the room.