Prank Night

It was late, maybe nine, when Matt and I finally walked into the school. We were late for prank night. Some thing where all the senior set up various traps around the school. Matt and I had been at his place for the majority of the day. I was a bit tipsy, I'll admit it. Even before arriving to his house, I'd been drinking. Drinking away what, exactly? I'm not sure. I didn't particularly care either.

He gripped his hand in mine as we continued down the hall. It felt cold and foreign, to do such an intimate gesture with him. Somehow the sex felt less personal, but the hand holding was too far. We'd assured each other this was no strings attached, but with the way he'd been looking at me lately, I had my doubts. Perhaps I should cut it off before it becomes too much.

I've always been fantastic at commitment.

We made our way through the school, careful to avoid trip wires and other senior pranks on our way. The halls were cavernous and empty, and seemed almost haunted without students walking around. When we finally arrived at the classroom Caroline told us to meet her in, I let go of Matt's hand immediately, using opening a door as an excuse to stop. We stepped into the dark room, Matt first. Almost immediately, mouse traps began snapping around the room, echoing through the nearby halls. The lights turned on, and Elena, Tyler, Bonnie and Caroline popped up.

"Oh, come on! Seriously?" Caroline spat in anger as she stood back up and glared between Matt and I accusatively, "Do you know how long it took for us to set all this up?" I offered her an apologetic smile, but, judging from her glare, my attempts were fruitless.

"Forgot about senior prank night, huh?" Tyler asked, placing down a bucket of golf balls.

"Clearly," Matt replied.

"How the hell could you forget?" Caroline asked exasperatedly, "We've only been waiting for this since like freshmen year."

Elena spoke up from the corner of the room, "Yeah guys. If I'm doing this, you're doing this."

"I'm kind of surprised any of you are doing this," Matt replied. Tyler sighed, wrapping his hands behind his head. Even I knew that one of Caroline's famous speeches was about to echo throughout our heads for the rest of the night.

"Caroline's making us," Bonnie spoke, subtly whispering 'help me' in my direction.

Caroline took a deep breath, heaving out her chest as she began, almost dutifully, "We're about to be seniors. These are the memories that stay with us forever, and if we don't-"

Elena interrupted her, finishing Caroline's own thoughts, "And if we don't create these memories now, then what's the point of it all?"

Caroline smiled teasingly, "Go ahead and make fun, I don't care." I felt my lips curl up into a smile.

"I'm with Caroline," I replied, grimacing at the taste of alcohol on my lips, "Let's do normal teenage things,"

Tyler piped up, "You're all lame. And I've got ten more classrooms to prank." With that, he walked out, taking the golf balls with him.

I followed him with my eyes as he left. I was about to speak when I suddenly felt my stomach drop. My face molded into a frown as I furrowed my eyebrows. Something was wrong. Dread. It came in waves that pummeled my mind one by one. I looked towards the door and suddenly felt a vile feeling at the back of my throat. I realized with sickening disgust that I was about to throw up. I ran towards the door, my face becoming heated with every step I took.

"Hey, where are you going?" Bonnie called after me. I didn't respond, worrying that I'd loose control of my own mouth as I started sprinting out into the hallway.