Taking Care of the Kids

The founders. A rather pretentious group of the towns finest, who's life mission was to track down and kill any threats to the town. Yes, vampires landed on that list. Following Elena's death, they'd kidnapped a bunch of them. They escaped, of course, but the best day a majority of the council was blown up in some tragic gas-line issue. I found it hard to believe that just hours after they'd failed they had such an accident. I had a feeling someone else was behind it, but you can never really be sure.

I was distracted from my shower-thoughts and when my phone rang. I embraced the warm water for no more than ten seconds, before turning it and wrapping a towel around my bare body. I walked through the bathroom, which was completely filled with condensation, and picked up my phone. "Hey, Elena-," I began, only to get interrupted by a slightly peeved voice.

"What the hell, Em? Prep for the memorial started at 11,"

I pulled my phone away from my ear to glance at the time, only to have the dramatic realization I was an hour late. I immediately felt a rush of shame, "Shit, Elena, I'm sorry. I completely lost track of time. I'll be there in thirty- no, twenty five minutes. I'll speed."

There was an annoyed sigh. "No, don't do that. Just get here soon for me, alright?" She inquired.

I nodded, though she couldn't see, "Okay, I promise."

"Love you,"

"Love you, too."

________

I stomped out of my car reluctantly, my moves sluggish as I tried to take as much time as possible.

I never quite liked church. It reminded me of one of my old foster mothers. She was a sweet woman, always caring and willing to help me whenever I needed it. I'm pretty sure she wasn't able to have children of her own, and that's why she relied so much on the system. But, yeah. She was one of the mediocre ones from my past.

I put her under the mediocre category because she could be rather mean. She tried to make me go to church and learn about Jesus and God and such. I understand wanting to spread your religion, and I've always respected people for having courage to do such. But religion in general was something I never really cared for, and never really believed in. And I was fine that way. I guess I could be called an atheist, believing that we simply die and cease to exist after our heart stops beating. Grim, but a reality for me nonetheless.

Let's just say, she wasn't really okay with that.

I opened the cavernous church doors slowly. The melancholy sound of piano music ran like water through my ears, filling me with both nostalgia and bad memories. The church was packed with mourners, all of which had their faces turned towards Elena, who was shakily making her way to her seat. She looked incredibly sick. I sat next to her, trying to express my confusion in glances towards her.

"Elena... What's going on?" Although my voice was hushed, I saw a few angry mourners turn their heads in my direction.

"Hungry," She responded, her breathing heavy and her eyes zeroing in on everything and nothing at the same time.

"Hey, April was looking for you," Jeremy spoke to Elena, "She wanted help with her speech."

Whose April? I've never heard of an April. Was she another original or something? And her speech? Wait, nevermind, she may just be a mourner. Related to one of the dead.

"Oh. Where is she?" Elena asked, tucking her hair behind her ear and massaging her neck gingerly.

We all looked around the church for any signs of April. I didn't really know who I was looking for, though.