Family Photo

It's been about a week since that attack. Silas has gotten in my head. I thought he had stabbed me, but it was an illusion. On the plus side, we managed to turn Elena's humanity back on. She wasn't herself, yet. She was so focused on killing Katherine that she hadn't even texted me.

I hadn't gotten much sleep as of recent. It wasn't some insomnia-related problem, I've just been up learning all I could about my family.

And trust me, it's not much. I'd also been studying up on any sort of vampire in the town at that point. I mean, someone had to of compelled me.

There was nothing. Every single lead I came upon was a dead. I'd found one vampire named Dante, but there was no connection between him and Cecelia.

The only problem was the article that I'd read first didn't give any last names. Or first names, for that matter. It just said "Middle Class Family."

I'd found the address of the house, thankfully, but I couldn't leave Mystic Falls just yet. I had to graduate and save up. That would take at least two years. And I wasn't even sure if I was really willing to chase that lead.

Finally, though, I'd found something. A picture of my family. It was me, Cecelia and Conner. I looked about three or four. Cecelia was obviously pregnant. I remember she had mentioned something about me having a brother and sister.

There was no caption, just the family.

I sat in my bed, scrutinizing the picture for any sort of clues. We seemed to be in front of the house that we'd apparently abandoned, but that's it.

Or so I thought.

Upon further inspection, I saw a face. It was blurry and hard to see. The picture was obviously very old. I moved my face closer to my computer and gasped when o realized just who it was.

Katherine.

I grabbed my phone out of my back pocket and typed in Katherine's number furiously.

I brought the phone up to my ear and waited as the phone began to dial. I heard a click and a breath on the other side.

"Katherine, we need to talk right fucking now," I hissed, not even giving her time to say hello.

"Hello to you too, Emma," I heard her sass from the other end of the phone, "what's got her royal highness so worked up?"

I rolled my eyes and muttered, "Meet me at the Hometown Cafe, east of Ringe,"

Before she could respond, I hung up. I stood up in a complete haze. I wanted answers. No, I needed answers.

I threw on a pair of jeans and a shirt. I didn't bother doing my makeup, simply pitting my hair into a ponytail and grabbing a pair of boots.

I grabbed my purse off of my dining room chair and proceeded to run outside with my laptop in hand.

I immediately drove to school, printing out the paper and then running back into my car.

It was about an hour drive to the Hometown Café, and I sat there the entire time, my mind wandering through all the possibilities.

When I finally arrived, I saw Katherine sitting with a menu clutched in her hand.
I walked over to her and took a seat.

She put down the menu and glanced at me with her signature grin. "Emma Bertan..." she mused as soon as I sat down, "you're really interested in hanging out with little old me?"

My face remained stoic as I grabbed the picture from my bag and slammed it on the table. She looked at me with furrowed eyebrows, reading my face. She didn't find anything, though, so she reached out to pick up the piece of paper.

She picked it up, and ever so slowly a grin made its way across her face, "Took you long enough,"

I frowned, deciding to skip formalities, "why are in this picture?"

"Because I was friends with your mom," she explained with a sigh.

I furrowed my eyes brows, waiting for her to go on.

"We met in the 90's. She grew vervain for me, and overtime we just became friends. Then she had you and we basically stopped talking," Katherine fessed up, "she got into some business with the vampires of the town, had to flee,"

"The article I read said that she got into some business with some mafia," I responded.

"Mystic Falls isn't the only town with secrets," she explained, "but that's really all I know. The rest of the information you need is New Orleans,"

"Is it?" I questioned.

"Yeah," she spoke, shuffling through her hand bag, before handing me a note. It was torn and faded, looking rather old.

She continued the story as I opened it, "so your mom made you fake ID's and skipped town. Well, she and Conner did. She had me compel them out of your memory when you were just a child. Then ship you off to a foster home,"

I froze, "you were the one who compelled
me?"

She shrugged, "yeah. Don't get mad at me, though, I'm just the messenger."

I opened the note slowly, reading the name "Rousseau's."

"That's where you'll find your next lead," she explained, "with a witch named Sophie Devereux,"

I nodded taking the paper and putting it back into my bag.

Hi guys! Very short chapter, I'm aware. I just hope
You're all ready for...
THE FINALE

WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT GO UP TODAY

FOUR MONTHS PEOPLE
ITS BEEN FOUR MONTHS

AND NEXT CHAPTER...

SHIT GOES TO THE FAN

~Delaney