Fire

(Don't listen to the song until I say to. Unless you want to but I suggest listening to me.)

Caroline, Bonnie, Elena, and I stood outside the school, all gazing at the scene in front of us. The smell of freshly cut grass intoxicated the air, almost distracting me from the fact that Tyler had died. And I'd almost died. And Elena almost died. And Matt almost died. Why is everyone almost dying?

Kids threw footballs, laughed with each other, and rode around with skateboards and scooters. I used to hate the shouting of crowded hallways, but perhaps it was a welcome white noise. Everything was so simple, with their one worry in life being what college they get into. Not if some evil British guy decided to kill everyone.

"Here we are. Senior year." Caroline smiled, glancing at the school with a glint in her eye. She's always been so excited for this. Spoke of it since I'd met her June of freshman year. I remember being scared of; thinking she'd bring too much attention to me. I mean, she was the popular girl. Like Regina George if she was dead.

I hugged her arm, a sigh escaping my throat as, "I just can't believe we all haven't died yet," I mumbled.

Caroline grinned, but Bonnie looked disappointed, a small frown across her face. "I don't know," She spoke solemnly, "Anyone else think this should feel slightly more empowering?"

Caroline scoffed, "Okay. So prank night was a bust-,"

"Girl, it wasn't just a bust. It was the titanic sinking, but imagine Jack still died and Rose had to marry that rich ken-doll guy," I scoffed, crossing my arms around my body.

Caroline sent me a side glare for interrupting her, but continued nonetheless, "But we are accepting it, and we are moving on."

"You're right. I mean, why should I let the fact my boyfriend is seeing the ghost of his dead girlfriend hinder this experience?" Bonnie asked sarcastically.

"Yes!" Caroline cried, a bright smile across her face, "And why should I let the fact that my boyfriend was turned into a hybrid put a damper on an otherwise fabulous day?"

Elea stopped walking. We paused, looking towards her in confusion. Her bottom lip trembled, slightly. "Today's our anniversary," She rasped. "Technically, Stefan and I met on the first day of school last year,"

Caroline sighed, "Yeah, you win."

It's not a competition. Why are we making this a competition?

"Are you sure you want to be here?" Bonnie questioned, placing a hand in Elena's shoulder as frowned.

"I have to put it behind me," Elena started, "New year. New life," Okay, Elena, I'm sorry but it's really not all that deep.

We all kept walking.

________

I walked into the bathroom, seeing it completely abandoned. I walked into the handicapped stall, because who doesn't love a big stall. Usually, in public, I wouldn't do that for obvious reasons, but we don't have any handicapped people in my school. I opened my phone, seeing maybe six missed messages from Matt. Someone please kill me. I loved Matt. I did. But not at all in the way he cared for me. I just wish there was a way to cut off our little fling without hurting him.

All of a sudden the bathroom door slammed open. I expected to hear some giggling of teenage girls, but instead I saw Barbie Klaus. Why is Rebekah in the school? I felt frozen in place, worrying she'd hear me and walk over here and just rip off my head. She is Klaus' sister, after all.

She spoke to someone on her phone. She sounded angry her voice slightly shaking as she yelled, "You can't just leave me here, Nik. In a decade I just got in, too?"