I Hate You

Klaus' house had the odd tendency to echo every single movement you made. I swear, I could hear my eyes moving as I surveyed the house's decor. Stefan and I walked through the pearly white halls in search of wherever Klaus had the hunter. Because, surprise surprise, he didn't explode.

Finally, Stefan grabbed my elbow and made us turn a corner into a smaller room. It looks to be a winery, of sorts, with vintage furniture and a raging fire. I sent him a questioning glare, as he'd instructed me not to talk when we entered the house. It was a simple coup. Get in the house, locate the hunter, and take him as our new hostage. Which didn't sound any better no matter how I tried to format it in my mind.

Past the room with the fire, there seemed to be a closet. Stefan nodded towards it, and we proceed. My hand clasped around the cold, metal handle, as I hesitantly threw open the door. The sight we came upon was anything but reassuring.

The hunter was there, yes. But he was spread out upon a medieval-torture device, or so it seemed. His hands and feet were bound above him, so much so he was completely exposed and vulnerable. It looked like something you'd see in some 50 Shades movie. Sure, he was a dick, but this was bordering on humiliation.

"Looks like I'll have to beef up the hybrid security."

Stefan and I turned our heads towards Klaus, who didn't bother to hide his dissatisfaction with our break-in. He didn't seem angry, pre see, just annoyed. And his annoyance was mostly directed towards Stefan.

"We were gonna take him," I nodded towards Conner, "But I mean you spent all this time trussing him up in your red room, you kinky bastard."

"It's from the inquisition," Klaus grinned, looking towards the table the hunter was bound on, "I thought it was a nice touch." What's an inquisition?

"What'd you get out of him?" Stefan questioned.

"Not enough," he responded, a hint of irritation in his voice, "he's mum about the council fire and he's not saying anything about this greater evil were all supposed to be shivering over. What brings you two snooping?"

"Well, I can't say it in front of him," Stefan spoke, "As I'm sure you've figured out, our friend here can't be compelled."

"You're full of mysteries, aren't you," Klaus chuckled.

"I told you I don't know anything," The hunter spoke weakly. His voice wavered. He was afraid. And it was only then did I realize he had some dried blood on his clothing, and his skin was glistening with sweat.

"What have you been doing to him?" I questioned through parted lips.

"What does it matter?" Klaus questioned, "He almost got you killed."

I glanced back towards Conner, and we met each other's eyes for just a moment. While my irises were filled with judgment, his were filled with desperation. It took me a few seconds to find a moral compass to balance upon. And it was the wrong one altogether. "Whatever," I huffed. The part of me that had felt pity for him was sorely outweighed by the part of me that used rationale.

"Shall we?" Klaus asked, pulling open the door Stefan and me had come from, the one that led to the vintage room. We all exited to the next room, the only sound being the shuffling of feet and the door being closed. "So what's with the home invasion," he questioned.

"Damon said you knew something about Conner," I spoke, "I should have figured you were up to something after you healed Elena from the werewolf poison without asking for anything in return." Elena had been poisoned earlier by the hunter. He'd laced all the alcohol from a back to school party with werewolf venom.