The Devil Comes Back to Town

I sat with Stefan in the living room, waiting in nail-biting apprehension for him to call Klaus. Our plan to subdue Stefan had failed, well, miserable. He pressed down on the dial button, and I waited. One, two, three. Three seconds between each ring. Finally, on the fifth ring, Klaus picked up. Stefan put the phone on speaker, and I waited nervously for Klaus to speak.

And then, finally, "Portland is fantastic once you get over all the whiney music and healthy-looking people," His voice was deep and metallurgic, per usual. And I hated it. It made frightened butterflies slam themselves into my ribs, threatening to break their cage and fly away with every passing moment. Klaus continued, "But It's literally a breeding ground for werewolves."

"Your father's dead," Stefan announced, completely disregarding Klaus' previous sentiments.

Suddenly, a mist of nervousness coated the room, making the calm sea of my mind become dark and corrupt, capsizing every sensical thought. I heard Klaus breathe in a sharp, warning breath, "What did you just say to me?"

Stefan still smiled. Even with his humanity off, how could he just smile, "Oh my mistake, not your actual father, and not dead," Stefan clarified, "Mikael. Daggered."

I glanced at the desiccated vampire on the floor, a dagger sticking out of his chest, "What do you want me to do with the body?" Stefan asked nonchalantly.

"Well, first, I want you to explain to me exactly what happened," Klaus demanded, as he struggled to keep his voice calm. Now, this could make or break everything.

Both Stefan and I knew what he'd happened. A vampire, tall, strict, angry, had came to our door and asked for assistance in the killing of Klaus. And we easily obliged. But Klaus was smart, and Stefan was forced to tell him the truth since he'd been sired. So we'd have to dagger Mikael right in front of Stefan's eyes for this plan not to fall through. And so we did. But the partial story Stefan was telling was nerve wracking, and I knew he was teetering in the edge.

"I want to see him. I want to see his rotting body for myself," Klaus' now furious, shaking voice hissed through the phone. My heart began beating rapidly, sending a plethora of adrenaline throughout my entire body.

Stefan scoffed, readjusting the way he held his phone as he walked towards Mikael, nudging his unconscious body with the tip of his shoe, "Well he's here. Come by whenever."

"If you're lying to me, Stefan, your compulsion will expose you," Klaus seethed, "So answer with your life... Is what you're saying true?"

"It's true. I saw it with my own eyes," Stefan responded. And so he did. But there was still so many ways this plan could fall through. And perhaps that's why I felt like I was going to be sick.

"I want to talk to Rebekah," He demanded, his voice sharp, prepared to cut you should you not do as he said.

"That's not a problem, she's right here," Stefan walked over to a tense Rebekah. I, for one, was surprised she'd agreed to kill her own brother with us. There was history, I mean, they're siblings. Somehow, Elena had convinced Rebekah to join our side, which I need to applaud her for. She seemed like a loyal foot soldier before, doing as Klaus asked without a second thought.

Rebekah took the phone, "Hello, Nik." She was nervous. She could mess this all us for us in a single moment. I felt goosebumps rising on my flesh as I studied her mannerisms.

"Rebekah, love, what's this I hear about Mikael's tragic run-in with a dagger?" Klaus questioned. His voice accumulated a soft, yet still suspicious, air to it. It was such a huge difference, it almost sounded like a different person.