Chapter 7

Annabeth

Annabeth, Percy, Sally, Paul, and Estelle were all settled at the dining table eating dinner. "So, Mom," Percy said, cutting through the sound of utensils scraping against plates. "What do you know about those people on the bridge?"

Sally wiped her mouth with her napkin, setting down her fork and knife. "I don't know much more than you, but I'll tell you what I can. You know I try not to use technology too much when you're around, so I don't know everything, but I know some."

Percy nodded, gesturing for her to go on.

"Tony Stark is the genius billionaire owner of Stark Industries; a company started by his father that made its fortune making and selling weapons to the highest bidder, usually the US government," she began.

Percy and Annabeth listened with rapt attention, while Paul was distracted as he fed Estelle.

"Tony graduated from MIT when he was young and took over Stark Industries as soon as he was of age. He followed in his father's footsteps making weapons. At one point, he was giving a weapon's demonstration in Afghanistan when he was kidnapped and held hostage for a few months. The public was never told exactly what happened to him, but when he came back, he was a different man. He ordered Stark Industries to stop making weapons.

"A strange metal bodyguard began showing up, protecting Stark and his assets and friends, and after an explosion at one of Stark's laboratories, he announced that he himself was that so-called Iron Man," Sally said, stabbing at her salad. "Over the next few years, he focused Stark Industries on bettering the world and advancing technology that would help people, and making more of his suits. Iron Patriot is his friend, Air Force Colonel James Rhodes. A few years ago, a bit after you and your friends defeated Kronos, something happened in New York and Stark along with some friends saved the city. Some say they saved the world. They became known as the Avengers," Sally finished.

"Okay, so this guy is some kind of superhero? With a technologically advanced metal suit?" Percy asked, shoveling spaghetti in his mouth.

Annabeth rolled her eyes in disgust. "It sounds like it. I'm not surprised, the way he and his friends acted on the bridge, and the way the press talks about them. What about that Sp—" She choked for a second. "Spider-Man?"

Sally nodded, daintily eating her salad. "He's a bit newer, no one knows who he really is. He's only been around for about two years, mostly stopping petty criminals throughout New York, mainly Queens. Lately, he's been seen with Iron Man and his Avenger friends. The press thinks he's on the younger side."

"And that's all you know?" Annabeth asked, wishing they had more to go on.

Sally sighed. "Sorry, Annabeth."

"What about you, Paul? Got anything to add?" Percy asked.

Paul shook his head, still focused on his daughter and making sure her food went from her plate to her mouth. "Sorry, Percy. Once I married your mom, I stopped watching the news so much since she told me how technology doesn't mix well with your kind. All I know is everything Sally just told you."

Annabeth sighed, absently twirling some spaghetti on her fork. She couldn't shake the feeling that they hadn't seen the last of these superheroes, and that somehow they were connected to Percy's dream.

"There's one more thing, Sally," Annabeth said. The entire table looked at her curiously. She focused on Percy. "I know you said you didn't want to tell her, but she's your mom, she deserves to know about the dream."

"Annabeth—" Percy began to protest as Sally, with panic in her voice, said, "What dream?"

Percy hung his head, unable to back out now. "I had a dream last night. A weird demigod dream. Phorcys and Keto, the sea gods I drove out of Atlanta last year, they're planning something. We think they want to get back at me."