Chapter 22

Peter

Peter wasn't sure that he had ever experienced anything as awesome as Camp Half-Blood. If they weren't there to recruit heroes to fight against some immortals, he would have loved to run around the place and explore for hours and hours. If only Ned were with him, he would be freaking out just as much.

After Percy left, Peter wanted to look around immediately, but Mr. Stark was already engrossed in conversation with the elf-looking Leo Valdez while Steve decided it would be best to talk to the man in charge first: the wheelchair-confined Chiron.

"Now that the meeting is over, I would like to formally introduce myself." Chiron smiled warmly at them once they had gathered on the front porch of the Big House. "I am Chiron, the activities director."

"Chiron, why does that name sound familiar?" Steve wondered after shaking his hand.

"Well, if you have read some of the Greek myths, you may have come across an immortal centaur named Chiron who taught many of the famous heroes," Chiron said, a twinkle in his eye.

Peter froze. "Wait, does that mean—"

In answer to Peter's unfinished question, Chiron moved as if he was about to stand up. Peter's eyes widened as he not only did rise from his chair but continued growing taller than any normal human and revealing not two but four legs beneath his waist. In fact, where his legs should have been there was the entire body of a white stallion, complete with strong legs, horseshoes, and a magnificent tail. In seconds, it became clear that Chiron was indeed a centaur, the one from the stories.

"That's so cool," Peter blurted out, unable to stop himself.

"Thank you, Mr. Parker," Chiron said. He then faced Steve. "I must confess, Mr. Rogers, that there is another reason you may recognize me. I don't blame you for not remembering right away, it has been a long time. When you first joined the army and began your training at Camp Lehigh, I was there as well. I'm not sure how much Percy and Annabeth have told you about our history, but World War Two was actually a great conflict between sons of Zeus and Poseidon on one side and sons of Hades on the other. At the time, I was traveling between the U.S. facilities, attempting to appease the demigod leaders as best I could. While at Camp Lehigh, I met you before you became Captain America."

Steve nodded, pointing at Chiron. "I remember now! Dr. Brunner, right?"

Chiron gave a little bow. "I am glad to see you became the hero you were on the path to becoming. I remember hearing of your disappearance in the Arctic, but I had assumed you were dead like many others. It is good to see you alive and well. I am sorry the same cannot be said of Miss Peggy Carter, she was a good friend."

At the mention of his old flame, Steve visibly deflated. Peter didn't know the whole story, but he knew that Steve and Peggy were very close back in the 1940s. Her death had hit Steve hard a few years ago.

"Yeah, she was," Steve finally said.

"I am also sorry that you and your team have now been dragged into our world." Chiron sighed. "You already protect Earth from so much, it is a shame you must now be burdened with this."

"Are you kidding?" Peter scoffed. "This is awesome! When do I get to meet a god?"

Chiron chuckled. "I'm not sure that is a good idea, my friend. Most gods have no qualms about disintegrating demigods, they would be even more inclined to do the same to a mortal."

Peter frowned. If Ned couldn't be a part of this, Peter had at least wanted to take a few selfies with maybe Poseidon, or Athena, or Zeus.

"I am sure we can still make this visit worthwhile for the three of you," Chiron assured Peter. Mr. Stark and the four demigods Percy seemed close with had joined them outside. "Perhaps Leo, Piper, Frank, and Hazel wouldn't mind giving you a proper tour of the camp while we wait for Percy?"