Chapter 12

Tony

For once in his life, Tony didn't know what to do. He didn't know what to say, where to go, what to think. He hadn't seen Steve in a long time. As more people exited the Quinjet, Tony realized it wasn't just Captain America that he was seeing again. There was also Sam Wilson, Natasha Romanoff, Wanda Maximoff, and . . . Bucky Barnes.

Tony grew even more nervous as the Winter Soldier descended the ramp, joining his companions. He glanced up at Tony and grimaced. Steve had almost reached him at that point, and Tony's body seized as he panicked.

"Kid, keep your mask on until I tell you," Tony instructed Peter. "I'm not sure yet how this will go, and if it doesn't turn out well, I'll feel better if they still don't know who you are."

"Yes, sir," Peter squeaked, sounding about as nervous as Tony felt. "I'm in no hurry to tell them who I am, not after fighting against them in Germany. Once this is all fixed, then I'll meet them and freak out."

Tony still hadn't figured out his plan when Steve stopped a few feet in front of him. Despite spending the past two years in hiding, he looked good. He was wearing an all-black military-looking uniform, matching Natasha, whose hair was now platinum blonde, Sam, who had his mechanical wings attached to his back, and Bucky, sporting a new silver arm. Wanda was dressed simply in jeans, a black tank top, and a red leather jacket. Steve's hair was longer and darker than Tony had ever seen it, and he was sporting a beard. He had no shield.

"Tony," Steve said, looking less nervous than Tony was sure he himself did, but Tony hoped that was just an act.

"Steve," Tony made himself speak.

The others had joined them at that point, and Natasha smiled at Tony. "Good to see you, Stark."

Tony forced a small smile onto his face. "You too, Nat. Wanda."

He nodded at Sam, and, with some difficulty, at Bucky as well. "Wilson. Barnes."

"Stark," Sam greeted, while Bucky wisely said nothing.

"Spider-Man, right?" Steve looked at Peter.

"Yeah, th-that's me," Peter stuttered, his mechanical eyes wide.

"Should we do this inside?" Steve suggested.

"That sounds like a good idea," Tony agreed.

Following Tony, they all made their way into the compound and to the conference table. Rhodey and Vision were waiting for them, where there were much more cheerful reunions than the one they'd had with Tony.

They decided to fill everyone in on the past few years before addressing the elephant in the room. Tony was all too happy to take the opportunity to steady himself with a drink as Carol introduced herself and Steve informed them about the Wakandan scientists' success in removing the HYDRA programming from Bucky's mind and their time living as fugitives.

Peter remained silent the whole time, which Tony was happy about. He simply hung from the ceiling, observing the interaction and watching Tony for a sign of what to do. The others let him be, perhaps sensing his apprehension and Tony's need to protect him. After the airport fight in Germany, they definitely knew Peter was on the young side, but the less they knew for now, the better.

Too soon for Tony's liking, storytime was over. The conversation died down and Tony was forced to actively join them. Until then, he had just been listening.

"I appreciate you reaching out, Tony," Steve finally said as Tony leaned against the wall across from him with his drink.

"You should thank Pepper, she talked me into it," Tony grunted.