Chapter 13

Percy

"Piper McLean, is this IM real? It's not a trick? You're actually contacting us?" Percy shouted as soon as the message fizzled into existence in the middle of Percy's bedroom, where he and Annabeth had just woken up from a quick nap after an early lunch.

The daughter of Aphrodite laughed at Percy's enthusiastic greeting, but Percy couldn't help noticing that it seemed forced. There were dark shadows under her eyes, her hair was devoid of its usual feathers, she seemed to have made even less effort than usual with her appearance (which was saying something, since Piper had a reputation for being the only child of Aphrodite who never cared how she looked), and while she wasn't cocooned in her bed, it was clear she hadn't left her room in a while. The most unsettling part was that her eyes were a bright blue—the same shade Jason's had been.

"Be nice, Percy," Annabeth scolded.

Percy pouted. "I am nice, I just want Piper to know we've missed her!"

"I know, I should have talked to you all sooner. I have no good excuse." Piper sighed.

"You don't need one," Annabeth insisted. "It's been hard for everyone, but especially you. How are you?"

Piper bobbed her head up and down, running her fingers through her hair as if just realizing it was a mess. Her voice cracked a bit when she finally spoke. "Doing better. I know he wouldn't want me to sit here and grieve forever, so every day I've tried to do more. I just started looking at those proposals you sent me, Percy, about the exchange program. I think he would have really liked it."

Percy smiled, imagining Jason's reaction. "Me too."

"Leo told me you talked to him yesterday," Piper added.

"Is he the reason you finally IM-ed us?" Annabeth smirked.

Piper looked down. "Yeah, he gave me the push I needed. I'm sorry for being so distant."

"We don't blame you," Annabeth assured her.

"Was there anything specific you wanted to talk about?" Piper asked.

Percy exchanged a quick look with Annabeth, but they had already decided, like with Leo, not to say anything about what they were dealing with in New York.

"No," Percy answered. "We just wanted to make sure you were doing okay. And that you'll be at Camp Half-Blood in a few days for the reunion?"

Piper sighed. "I don't know, guys, my dad needs me in Oklahoma, and—"

"We are not taking 'no' for an answer," Annabeth stated. "Leo already has instructions to strap you to Festus and drag you against your will if he has to. You missed last month's. Not this time."

Piper frowned at them, but Percy knew they had won her over. A smile, a real one, spread across her face. "Okay."

They heard a voice in the background and Piper ducked out of the screen for a second. When she came back, she was smiling even wider. "My dad might have found a job, I've got to go help him. See you guys soon!"

"Bye Beauty Queen!" Percy called, waving.

"See you soon, Piper!" Annabeth said.

And then Piper was gone, leaving the room in silence. Annabeth smiled, stretching her arms over her head and getting up from the bed. "I'm glad she finally talked to someone other than Leo."

"It seems like she's doing better, too."

Annabeth nodded. "It'll be good for her to hang out with all of us next week."