Chapter 8

Tony

Tony was intrigued by this Carol Danvers. For one, she was new blood, which they sorely needed. Beyond that, she was smart, had a good attitude, and was pretty powerful.

Before even testing her powers, they wanted to see how she was at hand-to-hand combat. Clint volunteered to fight her, since he was the best out of all of them, although Peter was coming close.

Clint and Carol were almost evenly matched. Every time one of them got in a hit, the other returned the favor right afterwards. The two of them were punching, dodging, rolling, and jumping so fast it was hard to keep track. Tony was amazed at how well Carol was handling herself. He'd seen Clint take down some pretty skilled mercenaries, so it was by no means an easy fight for the former Air Force pilot. Still, she held her own and was even starting to gain the upper hand. Clint was tiring, while Carol showed no signs of stopping. By the time the fight ended with Clint pressed into the floor and Carol on top of him, Tony wasn't surprised. Just impressed.

Peter was almost bouncing with excitement when it came time to demonstrate her powers. Before their eyes, Carol started glowing and rose into the air, her hair floating majestically. While levitating, she pointed her hands towards a few targets Rhodey had set up and plasma blasts shot from her fists. The targets exploded into smithereens.

"Anyone want to spar?" Carol suggested as she lowered herself to the floor.

"Me!" Peter volunteered immediately.

Carol nodded and the two of them raced to meet each other. Peter launched himself at her but at the last second shot a web to the ceiling and swung out of the way, before coming around and kicking her in the back. Carol was on her feet in no time, ducking under Peter's next kick and firing a plasma blast at him.

Tony prematurely winced, but Peter ducked out of the way and crouched in front of Carol, planning his next attack. She didn't give him time, however, and directed more plasma blasts at him which forced him to continuously dodge. Carol hovered before him, giving Peter the opportunity to shoot two webs towards the ceiling above her and slingshot himself at her. She careened backwards and was too slow to avoid the webs Peter wrapped around her. Carol was still floating in the air so it looked like she was hanging from an invisible rope.

Peter looked very proud of himself, but his smile faded when Carol's glow intensified and she broke free of the webs. She dove for him and the fight was back on. It finally ended when Peter was pummeled by so many plasma blasts and punches that he was too tired to get back up.

Carol then faced Vision, which was a more evenly matched brawl. With very similar powers, neither one of them could get the upper hand, and eventually Tony called the match. He would have wanted to spar with her in his Iron Man suit, but everyone was tired and it was getting late anyway.

The next day, Carol was telling them more about herself and her time with the Kree when Pepper walked into the conference room. Tony smiled at her. She was on one of her rare visits to the compound in between running Stark Industries, this time staying for a few weeks. She still had to work while she was there, but her presence soothed Tony and it was nice to sleep next to a warm body at night to keep the nightmares away.

"Oh, hello Fury," Pepper greeted warmly. "I didn't expect to see you today. Who is your friend?"

"Pepper Potts, meet Carol Danvers," Fury said. "Carol's a new Avenger from space, although she'll probably do her own thing most of the time."

Pepper didn't even flinch at the mention of an alien—was she an alien? Carol came from Earth, but had become a Kree-human hybrid with the blood transfusion. Thinking about the distinction made Tony's head hurt.