Chapter 10

Peter

Mr. Stark had wanted to take Percy and Annabeth back to the compound just by flying them there, but as soon as he mentioned it, Percy turned pale and adamantly refused. No matter what they did, they couldn't persuade him. Mr. Stark looked about ready to knock him out and take him anyway, when thankfully Rhodey intervened and called Happy to come pick them up, who was already in town running errands.

Rhodey flew back to the compound on his own since his suit couldn't come off easily, while Mr. Stark and Peter piled into the car with Percy and Annabeth. Happy took one look at Percy and Annabeth, shook his head, said, "I don't want to know," and started the car. Mr. Stark sat next to him in the passenger seat with his eyes fixed on the rear view mirror the entire ride to keep an eye on the two teenagers. Peter, meanwhile, was stuck in the backseat next to them, with him on one side, Percy on the other, and Annabeth in the middle. She was pressed as close to her boyfriend as the seat belt would allow her. Peter tried not to feel offended.

The car ride was one of the most awkward drives Peter had ever been on. It was almost worse than the drive to the Homecoming dance after Peter found out his date's dad was the Vulture. No one said anything, and even Happy could tell something was up. He didn't speak a word to Mr. Stark about what he probably thought was a kidnapping. Peter just hoped they didn't get an Amber Alert.

A few times Peter heard Percy and Annabeth whispering softly to each other, so quiet only his enhanced hearing could pick it up out of the sounds of traffic. Even so, he couldn't understand a word. It sounded like they were speaking a different language.

When they finally arrived back at the Avengers compound, Annabeth nearly tripped in her haste to get away from Peter, who was finding it very difficult not to take it personally. He hoped it was just nerves caused by the impending interrogation, but somehow this felt more specific. Annabeth wasn't avoiding Rhodey, Happy, or Mr. Stark to the same degree as she was Peter. Rhodey was waiting outside the compound when they pulled up, no longer in his full Iron Patriot/War Machine suit.

"This way, please," Rhodey greeted, gesturing for them to follow him.

With a nervous glance, Percy and Annabeth walked after the Colonel, hand in hand. Peter exchanged a look with Mr. Stark and they brought up the rear. Peter was still wearing his suit, and while the mask was starting to feel a little stuffy, he definitely didn't trust these two enough to take it off.

As they walked through the compound, Clint, Carol, and Vision emerged and watched them curiously. Annabeth stared at them but stayed silent. Mr. Stark waved them off with a quick, "Later." Finally, they made it to the small interrogation room, which they rarely used. Sadly, most of the time their enemies were either robots that had nothing to say, or were humans who killed themselves before they had the chance to be questioned.

Rhodey pointed at the two chairs behind the table. "Please, sit."

Percy and Annabeth sat. Mr. Stark took the chair on the other side of the table, Rhodey leaned against the wall, and Peter latched onto the ceiling and hung upside down. He had found that he thought better that way.

Surprisingly, Annabeth was the first to speak. "So, what questions do you have for us? We did nothing wrong, right? We were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, we had nothing to do with that scepter-wielding maniac."

"We know," Rhodey said. "That criminal was our doing, unfortunately. A remnant of an evil organization we thought had been taken care of. We're sorry for any trouble it may have caused you."

"Like pushing my boyfriend off a bridge?" Annabeth said cooly, glaring at Mr. Stark across from her.

"How'd you survive that, anyway?" Mr. Stark asked. "That fall could have been fatal." He completely ignored Annabeth and focused entirely on Percy, whose fingers were fidgeting nonstop. Peter guessed it was the ADHD.