Chapter 33

Percy

Everyone was waiting when they made it back to the group. It still amazed Percy how many people they had brought together to help them fight. There were dozens of powerful demigods, quite a few seriously skillful and strong mortals and mortal-hybrids, and some intimidating Cyclopes. It was pretty impressive seeing them all grouped together, not to mention daunting when they all looked to Percy for explanations.

He gulped. Now that everyone had arrived, it was time to go over the plan and prepare. For Percy, that meant it was time to try to convince them there was hope that everyone would survive and that they wouldn't fight on July 21st, even though he knew without a doubt that those were lies. He fully intended on doing his best to keep everyone alive, but in the end, he wouldn't be joining them in their celebration.

Percy couldn't tell them that, though. It would just distract them and make them worry. If they were all to survive, they couldn't afford to be unfocused.

"Now that we're all here," Fury began once everyone had gathered in a giant circle, "It's time to go over the plan. But first, Stark, what just happened out in the woods?"

Annabeth answered before Tony could. "Some empousai scouts, trying to get some intel on us. I killed most of them, but one got away. We can only assume that Echidna and her forces know who we have on our side and will plan for it."

A few groans echoed through the air, but for the most part, everyone stayed silent. That allowed Fury to continue. "Well, there goes the element of surprise. We've dealt with worse. We'll compromise.

"Some of you already know the plan, but for those of you that don't, I'll go over it again." Fury clasped his hands behind his back, his voice carrying across the circle. "Echidna thinks we'll be fighting tomorrow, and that she'll be victorious. I disagree. I think we won't fight tomorrow, and that she'll lose. As a precaution, the Empire State Building will be closed tomorrow and I'll be sending out some scouts to keep an eye on it. I expect everyone to be prepared to fight in case something happens and Echidna's visions are true. If they're wrong, my scouts will also be looking for Echidna's base of operations, so that on July twenty-second, we can find her, attack her, and kill her.

"Demigods and other Greek and Roman affiliated creatures," Fury said to two-thirds of the circle. Percy wanted to punch Travis and Connor, who were again sticking pencils in Clovis' nose. "Your job is to take out the monsters and immortals. Most of us can't harm them, so it'll be up to you. But if there are civilians in the area, your priority is to keep them safe. We haven't told the UN about you, but if we cause a scene and lose lives, we may have to, and I don't think you want that.

"The rest of you, Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, you take on the mortals. Echidna is working with HYDRA, she'll most likely take advantage of their numbers. From what it sounds like, they've got some nasty weapons too, so practice caution and protect civilians at all costs.

"This plan, for demigods to go after monsters and immortals and mortals to go after mortals, holds true even if we do fight tomorrow. We are going to do everything we can to prevent that, but we need to be ready in case something unexpected happens.

"Whenever this conflict occurs, not everyone will be fighting. FitzSimmons, Will Solace, Grover Underwood, and Harley Keener will find somewhere to set up a temporary armory and infirmary. Maria Hill and a few Aphrodite children will guard them. If you are injured or need a weapon, you find them as soon as possible. That is an order.

"If the fight happens tomorrow, Coulson, Chiron, and I will go to the observation deck of the Empire State Building to direct help wherever it is needed. If it happens on the twenty-second, we will be in the air in the Quinjet.

"Hopefully, these immortals Echidna, Phorcys, and Keto will be present during the fight so we can finish them off. Percy and Annabeth-" Percy perked up at his name-"I want you two leading the attack on them. You know them, you can kill them.

"Any questions?" Fury finished.

Looking around, Percy was struck by how many powered people there were in this universe, and how dedicated they all were to defeating evil. They had all come together and accepted that the world was bigger than they thought and vowed to fight against an army that didn't really have a vendetta against them. Echidna, Phorcys, and Keto wanted Percy. These heroes came because Percy asked them to, and they weren't even hesitating.

The thought of their deaths weighed on Percy's soul. He didn't know what he'd do if he lost any of them. Even the Avengers, he already felt so much love for them. He enjoyed Tony, Rhodey, and Steve bickering, he laughed at Sam and Bucky fighting, he admired Peter's strength, he respected Natasha and Carol's dedication. If any of them died because of him . . .

Percy was so lost in thought, he didn't even notice that they'd been dismissed. People were either trickling inside to attack the mountain of pizza Tony had ordered, or to continue training and preparing their weapons and armor. Percy was left standing alone in the grass, watching them chat and form new friendships. Friendships that could be torn apart . . .

"Percy?" a voice said.

Percy's head snapped up and he realized he wasn't alone. Grover stood in front of him, staring intently. As he walked closer, his nose was twitching like it always did when he was worried.

"Hey, G-Man." Percy forced a smile onto his face, trying to banish the thoughts of the bodies he might see tomorrow.

"What aren't you telling us?" Grover wondered, but it wasn't accusing. It was more sad, as if he already knew.

"Nothing," Percy tried to lie, but his heart wasn't in it.

"Percy, I'm a satyr. We can read emotions," Grover reminded him. "And we have an empathy link. I know something's up. Ever since you visited Camp Half-Blood the other day, your emotions have been all over the place. You can tell me."

Percy argued with himself. On the one hand, it was so hard keeping this from everyone. With Annabeth so determined that the prophecy wasn't referring to him, Percy craved recognition. He wanted someone to understand that there was no fighting the future and to help him face it bravely. But on the other hand, it would be devastating for them. They would obsess over trying to change it and it would distract them and get them killed. Percy would rather embrace his fate wholeheartedly before letting someone worry about him to the point where it cost them their own future.

Before Percy had the chance to make a decision, Grover added, "I know you talked to Rachel."

At those words, Percy's defenses came crumbling down. He looked at Grover, no longer hiding the defeat in his eyes. Grover eyed him sadly. "Tell me what the prophecy said."

Percy repeated the prophecy, watching Grover's face turn from curiosity to delight to despair. They were both quiet for a long time when he was done. Not even a bird interrupted the silence.

Finally, Grover took a deep breath. "It doesn't mean you. But if it does . . ."

Grover surged forward and threw his arms around Percy. Percy hugged him back just as fiercely as the two of them put into the embrace all the words they couldn't bring themselves to say. And for a moment, Percy was content.