Chapter 42

Peter

"It was Chrysaor. He'll no longer be a problem," Percy said through the earpiece.

Peter sighed in relief. He'd seen the masked fighter before Percy and Annabeth had taken care of him, and did not like the look of him. For one, he was very tacky in an entire suit of armor and gold mask. For another, he had devastated their allies.

"Well done, child," Chiron said. "But unfortunately there are still more monsters waiting."

"Aren't there always?" Annabeth grumbled.

Peter took a moment to cling to the side of a building and survey the battle. Their forces were being overwhelmed, but those still on their feet weren't backing down. The Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. agents were deep in the middle of the fight, pushing through their injuries, but some demigods had been forced to retreat to the lobby of the Empire State Building. Nearly every demigod was now sporting various claw marks they hadn't been able to avoid, some of them so severe they had to go to the infirmary. Will, Grover, and Simmons were doing their best to get them back into the fight since it didn't seem like it would end anytime soon, but there was only so much they could do, and from what Peter heard, they were running out of ambrosia and nectar. Sadly, he could see a few dead bodies as well and felt pangs of pity for his new half-blood friends.

Though they were trying to team up, most people were fighting alone now. Carol was flying all over the fight, blasting back monsters and soldiers and tackling the bigger ones before blowing them apart. Vision was doing much of the same, but more gracefully. Mr. Stark, Rhodey, and Sam alternated between attacking from the air and from the ground. Leo and Festus had separated so that they could bring fire upon their enemies from above and below. Frank had long since run out of arrows and was now in the thick of the fight, transitioning smoothly from various animal forms and back to normal with his sword. Clint was using a Celestial bronze sword to fight the monsters and his hand-to-hand combat skills to fight the few remaining HYDRA agents. Each time Peter got too close to Piper, he had to resist the urge to listen to her crazy commands of "hop on one foot and pat your head and rub your stomach!" Hazel was a blur as she raced around the battle on her horse—together the two of them took out double the enemies. Bucky was smashing monsters and soldiers into oblivion, as well as Steve who had a nice new lion coat Peter was jealous of. Wanda was still going strong using her powers to toss opponents out of the way or even explode them. Natasha and Reyna were still together, the Huntress' knives split between the two of them. Thalia also wielded her hunting knives and reinforced her attacks with bolts of lightning. Nico's skeleton army was missing, but he still radiated darkness as he waded through the ranks of monsters. Daisy was crushing monsters left and right, and Elena was ripping them apart with her robotic arms. Mack had run out of shotgun shells, but still made use of the ax portion of his preferred weapon. May was using a sword she'd found, and the pure rage in Clarisse's eyes scared off most of the monsters that approached her. Calypso was a whirlwind of death with both her magic and a sword. The Cyclopes were demolishing anything that approached them. Peter recognized some of the other Camp Half-Blood and Camp Jupiter counselors/centurions, but he couldn't remember all of their names.

The most impressive sight had to be Percy and Annabeth. Even though the fight had started over an hour ago and they were covered in injuries, the two of them fought like they'd just begun. There was renewed strength in their limbs, and their coordination was astonishing. Watching them, Peter has no trouble understanding why they made such a good pair.

Reflecting on Chrysaor, Peter understood their motivation. Chrysaor was another son of Poseidon, and if they'd taken him out . . . then the prophecy wasn't talking about Percy at all! If they could just find Echidna, Phorcys, and Keto, they would win!

Catching a glimpse of Jessica Jones and Daredevil, Peter inwardly screamed. Ever since the two of them had appeared in New York, he'd followed their exploits. Along with the Avengers, they were some of his idols. Now that he was getting to fight alongside them . . . it was a dream come true. It was amazing to see Jessica's strength in action and Daredevil's phenomenal fighting skills. And Peter couldn't deny—the suit was so cool.

As Peter jumped back into the fight, he noticed something strange. Some of the dust on the ground was concrete, not gold and monster-y. But he ran into it in the middle of the battleground, far away from any rubble from damaged buildings. He found the answer when he came across a life-size statue of a demigod, and then another of an empousai.

The myth popped into his head immediately, and he remembered Percy and Annabeth explaining their encounters with her. Medusa was loose on the battlefield. The only good news was that it seemed like she had trouble aiming since Peter found more monsters and HYDRA agents petrified than demigods. Plus, every demigod knew to avoid her gaze. Recalling her description, Peter searched the crowd for a head of snakes, his mind racing as he tried to think of a way to kill her.

At last, Peter located her heading towards some unsuspecting demigods. He hadn't come up with a plan yet, but at least he could distract Medusa before she compromised more of their allies. Peter swung over and fired a web at her head, pulling hard to redirect her.

Medusa roared as she faced him and Peter shut his eyes tight, relying on his "spidey-sense" to guide him. He ducked under a swipe of Medusa's talons and kicked her away, frantically trying to find a way to get rid of her.

Suddenly, he heard grunting and the sounds of fists and feet meeting flesh. Peter's sixth sense told him it was safe to open his eyes, and when he did, he was shocked by what he saw.

Daredevil had come to the rescue, pummeling Medusa with furious attacks. He raised his head towards Medusa and Peter cried, "Don't look at her, she'll turn you to stone!"

To Peter's surprise, Daredevil looked straight into Medusa's eyes and nothing happened. He was completely fine. Even Medusa was stunned, which gave Daredevil the chance to grab a Celestial bronze sword off the ground and decapitate her.

Jessica appeared next to Peter, smirking like she'd been there the whole time. "Not looking is kind of not an issue for him," she said cryptically.

Peter frowned, but before he could question her further she was racing off to tackle an enormous un-friendly Cyclops. Peter shook his head, turned around and fired a web, and continued fighting.