Chapter 51

Annabeth

Annabeth wasn't sure she'd ever felt so content, lying there on the beach of Long Island Sound. The sun was beautifully bright and warm and the sea was just the right shade of blue, with the same intoxicating salty smell she loved so much about Percy. He was lying on the sand beside her, their hands intertwined. It had been almost a month since the Second Battle of Manhattan, and he was completely healed up thanks to the ambrosia and nectar.

Since the battle, Annabeth and Percy hadn't done much. They'd stayed with Sally, Paul, and Estelle for a bit longer, and then returned to Camp Half-Blood to spend some time with their friends and train before heading back to college for the next term. Which—to Annabeth's delight—would begin soon. Today was August 18th, Percy's birthday, and they were having a quiet moment together before celebrating with friends later.

Annabeth glanced over at him. He had one hand propped underneath his head and his eyes were closed, his chest gently rising and falling. She had rarely seen him more peaceful.

She was still a little worried, however. He'd nearly crossed a line with his powers at the beginning of the battle when he manipulated the water in those soldiers' bodies to free Paul. Annabeth didn't like it when he lashed out like that, and it reminded her of their encounter with Akhlys in Tartarus. She'd talked with him about it after the battle and he'd promised not to do it again and to try to maintain control over his emotions.

Even though his powers scared Annabeth sometimes, she was never truly scared of him. Whenever he went too far like that, he always regretted it and showed remorse. He always understood that it was wrong and that it could turn him into someone he didn't want to be. Her Seaweed Brain always came back to her. And even though they were only eighteen, Annabeth knew there was no one she'd rather spend her life with.

"I love you," she told him bluntly. They'd both already said it, but somehow it felt truer now than it ever had before.

He cracked an eye open and peered at her. "I love you, too."

Percy smiled at Annabeth and freed his hand so he could put it underneath her head. She snuggled into his side gratefully, sighing with happiness. Neither of them needed to say anything else. They knew.

Eventually, they both grew hungry and joined the campers for lunch in the pavilion. Afterward, they went to a few of their scheduled activities but ultimately decided it was time to celebrate with their friends.

Percy had already had an early birthday party with Sally, Paul, and Estelle the day before, so this time it was just Annabeth, Tyson, Grover, Thalia, Nico, Leo, Piper, Frank, and Hazel. It was nice to see them again since they'd all gone their separate ways after the battle. Frank and Hazel had gone back to Camp Jupiter, Piper joined her dad in Oklahoma, Leo and Calypso went back to the Waystation, Thalia was off roaming the country with the Hunters, Tyson had gone back to Poseidon's underwater palace, and Grover was traversing the country advocating for environmental conservation. They saw Nico the most since he was still at Camp Half-Blood, but he spent most of his time with Will or down in the Underworld trying to form a better relationship with his father.

They had the party in Percy's cabin since it was big and empty enough for all of them, and enjoyed blue cake and ice cream and stupid games. They spent the majority of the time chatting and catching up with each other. Most of them gave Percy fun gag gifts he enjoyed, but Annabeth gifted him a new skateboard he'd been wanting and a small conch shell she'd gotten from Poseidon. It was part of a set of two and she had the other one. They connected to each other with something like a telephone signal, so they could always keep in touch without having to rely on phones or Iris-Messages.

They almost continued celebrating all the way through dinner, but Percy's stomach wouldn't allow that. Their cheery attitude was infectious, however, and Annabeth was sure that the campfire that night burned higher and brighter than it ever had before.

Midmorning the next day, Percy and Annabeth gathered in the Big House with a few of the other senior counselors trying to pick a design for that summer's necklace bead. The Stoll brothers were advocating for the Party Pony mishap that had happened on the very first day of summer, while Percy wanted Mrs. O'Leary, after the infamous Slobber Sensation. Neither felt quite right to Annabeth, but then it came to her.

"I know what it should be," Annabeth said. "What it has to be."

She explained her idea and everyone was instantly on board with it, even the ones who hadn't been involved. It took only two minutes to draw up the design.

Percy said, "We have to invite them. They should be there, they should get their own beads."

Annabeth opened her mouth to protest and then closed it. Actually, it wasn't a bad idea. Chiron and Mr. D might take some convincing, but she had faith they could do it. Sure enough, it only took someone accidentally leaking the idea for the resulting pressure to make them agree.

Annabeth and Percy sat by the canoe lake to make the IM. When the mist shimmered and Tony's lab appeared in front of them, Percy called out, "Iron Man! Pete!"

The two of them jumped at the sudden noise, scattering the tools and papers they had been working with. Percy winced but then smiled cheekily.

"I'm never going to get used to those," Tony grumbled as he cleaned up his things.

"What's up?" Peter asked.

Annabeth and Percy exchanged knowing looks, and then she said, "Tomorrow's the last day of the summer session and we always have a fun closing ceremony. We were wondering if you two and the rest of the Avengers want to come. Daisy and the others are welcome to join as well."

Tony and Peter looked at each other, and Annabeth had a feeling they knew there was more to the last-minute invitation. They didn't press for more information, though, instead promising to try, and ending the IM.

Annabeth hoped they would come. It had been too long since she'd seen them, and she really did miss them. She and Percy had spent so much time with them in July that it was strange without them now. She was sure they felt the same.

Annabeth and Percy got to their feet and he gave her a short kiss and wrapped her up in his arms. She smiled into his chest. The conch shell signaling lunch blew in the distance.

Percy pulled back and looked down at her mischievously. "Race you to the pavilion?"

Annabeth smirked, and instead of answering, she took off without warning.

"Hey, no fair!" Percy exclaimed behind her.

Annabeth snickered and kept running. Percy's long legs eventually caught up to her, but instead of overtaking her, he scooped her up off her feet bridal-style and spun her around a few times while she laughed hysterically. He set her down and they walked up to the pavilion calmly, hands clasped.

At that moment, Annabeth didn't think she would ever be happier.