Chapter 41

Percy

They were outnumbered. It was as simple as that. No matter how much firepower they had on their side, their numbers just didn't match up with Echidna's. Even though the monster dust on the ground was almost up to their ankles, there seemed to be no shortage of more enemies. Those HYDRA agents that hadn't been permanently taken care of were up and fighting again. There were few of them left, but they were formidable opponents. The lack of mortal enemies, however, opened up their mortal allies to attacks by monsters that they couldn't always fend off.

Steve seemed to be doing okay, decked out in a Nemean Lion coat (which made Percy miss his). Tony and Rhodey's suits were covered in scratch marks, but for the most part, still functioning. Peter hadn't suffered any damage yet, nor had Carol or Vision. All of the other Avengers or S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, unfortunately, were sporting various cuts and bruises that were starting to slow them down. Most demigods were already injured too.

The worst part was seeing the bodies. None of the mortals had been defeated yet, but Percy recognized a few demigod's faces on the ground. There weren't many, and some of them were only unconscious as their friends dragged them to the safety of the infirmary, but a knife stabbed at Percy's chest each time he saw one.

Percy was fighting as hard as he could, but he, too, was tiring. It was getting harder to summon water from the air to attack monsters and mortals with, and his personal hurricane had long since fizzled out. His arm was heavy with the weight of his shield and Riptide felt loose in his sweaty hand. The earthquake he'd manifested with Daisy was a one-and-done deal.

The only good news was that the power was back, although it did raise some issues. Yes, their comms were working perfectly now, but the return of the power meant innocent civilians would soon leave their homes and notice the battle in the middle of Manhattan. Percy almost wished they were all asleep like they were last time he'd fought here. Alas, they were not, and soon enough they would arrive and complicate the situation.

Percy caught a glimpse of their two new allies and was very intrigued by them. The woman didn't look outwardly special, but her strength matched Steve's or Peter's. As for the man, he fought with the same skill as Natasha—perhaps even better—all the while in a strange-looking red suit with horns on his head. Percy wondered if Fury had called them, but figured they would have arrived the day before if he had. So why were they here now? And like the others, could they see through the Mist? Percy thought so since they were attacking monsters as well as mortals.

As the battle forged on, the prophecy remained at the forefront of Percy's mind. He didn't know when or how, but something would happen to him that would turn the tide of the battle. Gods knew, they surely needed the help. Somehow, Percy felt very calm about his fate. He'd spent years dwelling on cryptic prophecies that seemed to predict his death or downfall, what was one more? Whatever would happen . . . there was no point worrying or trying to stop it. As long as it ensured that his friends would live, Percy would gladly do whatever was required of him.

Percy had just disintegrated a particularly stubborn Laistrygonian with Annabeth—who only had one small cut on her arm, to Percy's relief—when Chiron said, "Annabeth, Percy, you two are closest. There is a masked fighter taking down demigods. He is very skilled, you must stop him! He is at the east end of the battle, moving towards you."

The two of them locked eyes, nodded, and started hacking their way through the mob to find him. Once Percy saw him, he couldn't fight the tiny spark of hope that rose in his chest. Annabeth glanced at him and he knew she was thinking the same thing.

Only with the fall of Poseidon's son, the prophecy said. But maybe it wasn't Percy after all. They'd dismissed the idea before because no one had seen him since they'd defeated him in the Mediterranean Sea, but Chrysaor was back.