[15]

Luke.

He was breathing softly as I sped my way through the town. Of all things this place doesn't have, why is an urgent care center one of them? Or even a goddamn hospital?

"Please be okay," I whispered, pressing harder on the accelerator. Just five more minutes and we'll be at the emergency room, I just need him to keep breathing, it's too late to keep him awake, I just hope he gets out of this soon.

I inhaled deeply and swiftly pulled into a parking spot before rushing out and grabbing him. Inside the hospital was quiet, thankfully there didn't seem to be many emergency patients, I sat Toby down in the chair before rushing to the receptionist.

"I need a doctor for him, he is bleeding from the back of his head, and I can't keep him awake, please help him," I rushed out, she nodded and dialed a number, and within 5 minutes a doctor came out. She quickly walked towards Toby and lifted his eyelids, where she shined her light.

"Situation?" She asked, as she placed her fingers against his jugular and stared at her watch.

"He was slapped and he hit head against the corner of a bench, then proceeded to move as if nothing happened and tackled his attacker,"

"Tough kid, for how long has he been unconscious?"

"Roughly ten minutes or so, he complained about his head hurting, and that he saw stars in his vision, along with other ramblings,"

"Are you related to the patient?" He asked and I simply shook my head.

"No, I'm his significant other, his parents are out on business," the doctor pursed her lips and nodded.

"Can you please give this man the paperwork, and get me a couple other nurses to escort this young man to the examination room to get his head cleaned up, then get the CT scanner ready for him?" She rattled off, the nurse was quick to dial other nurses, and to provide me with paperwork.

"We'll call you back when he's ready," she noted before following the nurses through the double doors. I simply stared at the doors for a few minutes before pulling myself together and dialing Joseph. The phone rang twice before he picked up the line.

"What's going on, Luke?"

"I brought Toby to the E.R., I need you help with information,"

"Why is he in the E.R.?"

"There was a fight at school with this Marcus kid, I came in too late. Now please help me fill out the medical forms,"

Ten minutes on the phone, filling out primary care doctors, insurance, and family history, we had all the paperwork filled out. Joseph then proceeded into a mini rant on finding Marcus and beating the shit out of him, but found satisfaction when I told him I already did. Not soon after that, he thanked me and hung up the phone. I gave the paperwork to the nurse, who nodded in appreciation and showed me to the waiting room.

I sat staring at blank TV screen for an hour before the doctor who checked on Toby came out.

"Mr. Hale?" She announced, I stood up and approached her.

"How is he?"

"He's still sleeping right now, we're going to keep him here for 24 hours, just to monitor him. We gave him morphine for the pain, and I'm going to prescribe him pain relievers for the next few days." She noted, I nodded my head as I took in the information she provided. "Would you like to see him now?" She asked. I simply nodded and she began to lead the way.

317. I truly hate that damn number.

We entered the room and there he was, resting peacefully with a bandage wrapped around his head and an I.V. in his veins. My heart began beating again once I heard the monitor giving out the beat of his own heart.