[22]

Luke

We've spent Christmas Eve and Christmas in the hospital, just waiting in silence, Toby kept his head on the bed mumbling to himself the entire time, while I sat there rubbing his back. He didn't want to celebrate, all his Christmas spirit left since he found out that his dad was in a coma, and didn't know when he would get out of it. Every now and then, Toby would begin to tremble, and I knew that meant he was silencing his tears for his dad. There was nothing I could do to soothe him, but hold his free hand and let him cry out his tears. It's now New Years Eve and Joseph had still yet to wake up, which alarmed the doctors a bit, they stated that he should have woken up a couple of days ago. Toby had finally fallen asleep after staying up for the past two days, staring at his dad in hopes he would wake up. Thankfully, I could convince him to eat at least something small every now and then, or else I'd be extremely worried about him, and would have had to admit him to the empty bed beside his dad.

I let out a small sigh and kissed Toby's temple before standing up to stretch myself out, I looked over to the free bed then back at Toby. Perhaps, I should move him to the bed? No, he wouldn't appreciate that, he refused to move from his side and snapped at me yesterday for merely suggesting it, since he was swaying due to exhaustion. I lightly rubbed my temples at the sudden flashback, what am I going to do with this boy? I snapped my head up, when someone began to groan, glancing over at Toby who slept peacefully, before looking over at Joseph who began to move around.

"Luke?" he mumbled as he slowly peered his eyes open.

"I'm going to go get a doctor," I stated quickly before rushing out of the room and to the nurses station, nearly stumbling along the way. "I need a doctor in room 340, the patient is finally awake,"

Just like that, two nurses stood, one rushed to the room while the other went to retrieve a doctor. I went back to the room to see Joseph simply looking confused as the nurse took down his vitals.

"What's going on? What happened?" he asked the nurse, then looked over at me.

"What's the last thing you remember?" I asked, he simply frowned at my question before looking deep in thought.

"I was driving home, so I could surprise Toby," he said, looking down at his sleeping son. Well at least he didn't lose too much of his memory, just the accident that happened.

"Joseph, you're in the hospital, you were in an accident, you've been in a coma for just about a week now," I had explained as the doctor and other nurse finally came in. I had picked up Toby and laid him in the bed, so he was out of their way as they went through protocol.

"What's today?" Joseph asked me, looking desperate, I believe I understood why.

"Don't worry Joseph, the big day is tomorrow, it's New Years Eve," he let out a big sigh of relief at that before nodding his head. He answered all of the questions that the doctor had asked, and allowed the nurses to assist him to the bathroom before he once again settled back in bed.

"Would you like me to wake him up? He's been worried," I asked as Joseph stared at Toby, he snapped his gaze to me and shook his head.

"No, he looks exhausted, thank you Luke, for being by his side," I simply nodded my head and a nurse once again came in with a trolley of food.

"Alright, Mr. Ryan, I hope that you're hungry, it is lunch time," she smiled softly, lifting the lid that covered up a sandwich and a small bowl of soup.

"Thank you," he smiled, before digging into his food. Toby woke up a few moments later, and I'm sure it's because of the food aroma that had engulfed the room. He looked utterly confused to find himself in bed, he snapped his head to me and frowned.