[20]

TOBY POV

A whole month has passed by since Luke's last business trip, he just left for another one right before Christmas break even began. I still haven't shown or even told him about my just received diploma, it's not like I was purposely doing it. It's just that as of lately, he's been extra attentive to me and I get so distracted that it slips to the very back of my mind. He seems to be a bit distracted too, which makes me worry but I'm sure he'll let me know if anything is wrong. I'm very ecstatic for his return though, it's our very first Christmas together, we're going to do cute ass dates, bake cookies, watch Christmas movies! Plus my dad is also in town this time of year, and the witch flies south for winter time, so literally everything is perfect.

I sat down in the backyard with my pen and paper, writing out a possible story idea that may or may not revolve around Luke and I's relationship. Just a mere little thought to have, I don't expect it to be a big read in the near future. I was taken out of my writers bubble the moment I heard the backdoor open, I looked over to see my dad warily approaching me. I squinted slightly before giving him a small smile.

"Hey dad, what's up, man?"

"Toby, bud, you know I love ya, right kiddo?"

I uneasily nodded my head, I already know he's fixing up to let me know he's leaving. I just really don't think I'm prepared to hear it, but I'm going to be boiling mad if it's for that bitch again like last year. She knows it's the main time of the year I love spending with my dad, yet she dragged him on her business trip even though their professions differ greatly. Like why does a national real estate agent have to go on a trip for a traveling nurse? Make it makes sense.

"Your uncle Jay needs me out at his main office for a few days to discuss I don't even remember what, just know he sounded frantic on the phone," he said, rubbing his temples in exhaustion.

"I will never understand how that man got to where he is now," he grumbled out causing me to chuckle.

"Cmon, you already know how, since you're going in again to help,"

He chortled and wove his index finger at me, I know, I got one hell of a point. "Don't you wish you had siblings?" He heavily sighed and in immediate response, I heartily laughed myself to tears.

"Oh, you're funny-" I wiped my tears and let out a few remaining chuckles, "you know they wouldn't survive with me as their sibling,"

"Touché," he chuckled out, and we just sat there for a few moments in silence.

"So will you be back for Christmas?" I asked peering back over at him, poor guy seemed exhausted already, eyes shut and basking in the warmth of the sun, though snow had already covered the surface of well, the outdoors.

"I'm hoping so, and we'll see if I can convince your uncle to tag along, that'd be nice," I nodded along to that.

"Do you know when Luke is getting back?"

I simply shrugged, "He said he'd be back by Friday at the soonest, so he'll be here for Christmas eve, he said he took the rest of the winter break off,"

"Very nice," not even a minute passed by before Dad's alarm went blaring off.

"Alright Dad, get there safe, love ya man,"

He sighed again and stood, clamping his hand on my shoulder.

"I love you too kiddo, keep me updated, I'll see you on Christmas,"

Just like that, I'm left alone in the house again, maybe I should call up Ray, we always have our winter break traditions. I stood up and went inside to my room, putting away my notebook and grabbing my phone from the charger. Luke said he'll call me at 4 after his meeting is done, which is just an hour away. I can't wait, I miss him, he's already been gone for four days and getting in touch with each other has been difficult, but its fine, yes. Fine. No need to worry, he adores me. We're about to have this whole week together of nothing but Christmas cheer. The best time of the year!