[27]

Luke

Our day out went off without a hitch, we had a great time actually, Toby had a little shopping blitz before we stayed with his dad and uncle for the rest of the day. We even went so far as spending the night and enjoying both breakfast and lunch before making our way back home with all of our stuff. Toby was through the roof thrilled, his wide smile didn't leave his face for weeks after that, always flaunting his new clothes and enjoying homecooked meals again. I also ended up buying Toby a couple of new journals, that I have yet to give or even show him. The day I got them, he swore off writing for the following weeks for a recharge, so he's been filling his days with painting as of late. An interesting way to recharge, he claims that it's to keep the flow of creativity meanwhile occupying his time with something other than words.

He's been quite the mess as of late because of it, I ended up designating one of the guest rooms to him as a studio. I had cleared it out and threw tarp over the floor and told him to let loose by day four of his 'artist era'. It didn't stop him from eating a paint dipped chicken leg or stop him from getting paint in the living room and kitchen. It was driving me insane, it didn't help with the fact that I had twice the amount of work, since my dear eldest brother decided to take a whole damn month off.  Meaning, I had to fasten my bootstraps and leave my sweet home, in the hands of the Tasmanian Devil, which made the hairs on the back of my neck raise and a shudder to run throughout my back. We've gotten into a few arguments over it, him thinking I'm blowing things way out of proportion, and me begging him to keep his mess in one spot so it's easier to clean. Then he'd always utter something under his breath once I walked away, which created a whole new table ball game of interrogation. Ultimately, I'd lose at the end, because he never wants to reiterate what he mumbled, which only further aggravated me, which always ended up with me fucking him to tears, so maybe in a way, I won.

 I looked over at Toby, who was happily munching away on his loaded queso burrito, paint was all over his hands and forehead, but that gleeful look on his face just had me continue my silence. It's fine, I'll just clean up after him when I get back from my trip, why bother with another argument?

He took a large bite and glanced over at me, slowly chewing, looking like a chipmunk who got caught stealing someone's nuts. Yeah- mine. After a moment he swallowed and gave a sheepish smile.

"What did I do?"

"Nothing, I have to go on a business trip, I should be back by the end of the month, will you be alright?" 

I didn't miss the sad puppy face that took over, he just stared at his burrito for a second before he shook his head. "No," he whispered, before glancing over at me, I could hear his feet lightly tapping against the island, I guess it has been a while since I've gone on a business trip. I made my way around the island and turned his chair to face me.  Lightly tracing his cheek before capturing his pouting lip between mine and gently pulling.

"C'mon, Little Bear, it'll be okay, I'll be back before you know it," 

He looked up at me with glassy eyes, my heart clenched at the very sight, my baby was sad and there wasn't a thing I could do about it. I'd love to travel with him, but when it comes to the business, he doesn't need to see any of that, plus my father will be with me during this trip, meeting Oliver was bad enough. What could I do though? If I don't go on this trip, my father will most definitely have my head, and find a new way to run my life as the disappointment of the family. 

"Do you have to be gone for so long?" He pouted; I pressed my lips to his forehead and let out a small sigh, wishing I could tell him that I'd hopefully come sooner, but knowing my brother and father, I'll most likely be longer than I hope to be.

"I'm sorry Little Bear, it's business, what can I do?" he wrapped his arms tightly around my waist and buried his face in my chest.  

"Do you want me to take you to your parents' house, while I go, or do you want to stay here?" I asked as I ran my hand up and down his back, he stayed silent for a while.