Chapter Three: Getting Ready

The tv continued, expressing how exited everyone was to have these new students here or whatever. No one paid attention, as some were either filled with joy, and others with anger and sadness.

The larger crowd started to slowly disappear, larger mounts of emotions flying this way and that.

Both negative and positive; and they could've crossed each other out to make the aura normal, but each emotion was expressed so loudly that it was impossible to return to the way it was before.

A few of the elders that were around us smiled in amusement as they slowly got up, and waddled to their homes. All four of us looked at LaLa, who had the proudest smile of them all.

"I knew you four would get in." She croaked. "There's something special about you four.."

"Thanks LaLa," Natsuki said. "We couldn't have done this without you."

We slowly made our way to the older woman and wrapped our arms around her. She smiled, gently swaying back and fourth in our embrace.

We slowly let go, apprehensive of leaving the warm hug. LaLa smirked once again. "It's time to get packing!" She laughed at herself, and the four of us smiled.

We were really doing this..

Sayori and I both helped LaLa up at a stand; the elder grunted with effort. She was getting old.. I had no idea how old she was, but I knew these were the symptoms of living a long life. Yuri handed LaLa her cane, and we all walked away from the town square.

Our home was small. It was not as big as everyone else's, as we could not afford such luxury. It was cramped and loud. Young kids and some babies lived with us, all of them orphans.

And don't get me wrong, we had parents come over and look at their selection. It's just that they like kids who are more innocent, kids who are younger. Younger kids have a better chance of getting fixed. They never even looked at us, the older kids who were broken and shattered with no parents.

We did our best in school and worked a few hours at a job to help pay for the orphanage, and all the orphans in it. LaLa only had enough to pay for our high school. None of the other kids were able to go to daycare or elementary school. So they stayed and LaLa did her best to teach them all that she knew; it was tiring for all of us.

And so, because we were basically poor, we didn't have much to pack. Just the necessary. We each got a backpack, beautiful black and brown leather. LaLa gave us all she could with her money. It was enough, and more than that for us. We were also able to take what we had, what was special for us.

We all took a notebook and pen, Natsuki and Yuri both took a book, Sayori took a stuffed bear, as her larger cow plush wouldn't fit in her bag, and I took my white ribbon. I've had the ribbon since childhood, a gift from my parents.

In times of stress, I like to have a little run in the forest. But this time I was seated by a small stream, starring at the rocks that made the water ripple and produced its sound. My backpack sat beside me, slightly empty with only money and food inside. I was fiddling with my ribbon in my hands, starring at my reflection in the flowing water.

I hadn't noticed that a girl approached me while I was thinking. "Monika, I thought I could find you here!" Sayori's voice was loud and energetic. She soon sat down next to me.

I laugh. "You know me well. Did you need something?"

Sayori shakes her head. "No, I just wanted to know what you were thinking about."

"Just.. Recapping on everything so far."

Sayori stayed silent. I continued, "I think I've made up my mind on something."

"Oh yeah?" She blinks in confusion. "About what?"

"I think I'm.." I pause, sighing as the weight of the words stung me. "I'm not going."

"Not going..?" Sayori mumbles, slightly confused. "Wait- As in you're not coming with us?" She exclaimed.

I shake my head. "LaLa's getting old.. Who will take care of her and the orphanage?"

"But you can't do that alone!" Sayori whimpered. "I'll stay with you!"

"No!" I snap my head to face her. "You can't. You have so much to offer!"

"And so do you!" She defended, her eyes pleading that I stay. "You got the highest mark out of all of us!"

"Marks are just a number."

"It's that number that got you recognized for the challenge Monika! You can't give up!"

I sigh. I stayed silent, as did Sayori. Why is she trying so hard to make me go?

"Monika," Sayori's voice lowered, soft. "We need you. You're our leader.."

Leader.. Leader? "If you stay," Sayori explained. "Then we stay too."

She's really making this hard for me. I can't let this opportunity go; I can't ruin their opportunity.

"You're Ted talk is convincing." I joke. Sayori giggles, smiling proudly.

"I'll go then." I decide. Sayori wraps her arms around me happily, resting her head on my shoulder.

"Thank you~" She giggles.

"You owe me." I warn playfully.

Sayori let's go of me and pouts. "Fine. I can share my snacks."

Sayori and I laughed, letting the forest and it's trees eco our laughter.