Chapter Thirty-Three: Changing, For The Better..?

"We know." I respond.

The woman widens her eyes. "What? How?"

"We all had a dream!" Sayori exclaimed. "And we shared it, and then we saw these shadows of ourselves, and the shadows ate us, and then we got separated, and then we each had a different encounter with this weird man before waking up!"

The older woman curved her eyes brows. "What?"

I chuckle, and re-explain our dreams. We each briefly explain what happened to us, which wasn't all that different except for Natsuki and Sayori transforming.

Mrs. Smith starred at us, her golden eyes glistening with worry. "This is worse then I thought.."

"What do you mean?" I ask, honestly confused.

Mrs. Smith sighed in agony. "Even the strongest witches weren't strong enough to use their magic to enter theirs or others dreams. Not only can he do that, he can communicate in your dreams, bring all of you together, and control the dream."

"What?" Natsuki asks in surprise. "So then how strong is he?"

"He's has years to build up power and destroy different realities. I would assume he's quite powerful."

"If he can do all that," I begin. "Then why hasn't he just killed us already?"

"Some kind of magic would have likely hid your soul energy from him so he couldn't find you until something happened, and he sensed you." Mrs. Smith explained. "I could very well be wrong about this."

"So what's gonna happen now?" Sayori asked innocently and nervous.

"It's too dangerous for me to be teaching you out in the open like this, especially if I need to help you four. I must be kept secret."

"So you're just leaving us?" Natsuki hissed.

"But what about the headmistress?" I asked. "She put us in your care, and we aren't going back to regular classes."

Mrs. Smith stood up. "Leave that to me. All you do in return is to promise that you will keep your emotions in control. You can't let another outburst happen."

I stand up, followed by the other three. "Alright. But how do we master our powers without your help?"

"I'll be helping you in secret. I'll try and find out where the Dark Essence is, or what his plan of attack is." Mrs. Smith explained. "As for your powers, that is something you four will have to do. I can help at times but.."

Natsuki crossed her arms, obviously annoyed. "Yeah, yeah, we get it. We have to do it ours and find our inner peace."

Mrs. Smith rolled her eyes. "Sure. You four better head back, I will talk to the headmistress."

"Is he gonna kill us?" Sayori asks worriedly.

"Let's hope not." Mrs. Smith responds, slowly walking past us and out of the clearing.

"Some help that was." Natsuki muttered, watching the old woman walk away.

"Hello? Mrs. Lilia?" I call, looking around the empty library.

"She's not here." Sayori observed confused, glancing around some isles of books.

"The library is open, right?" I ask, more to myself then to anyone.

Natsuki answers, "Well yeah, why else would the doors be unlocked?"

"Maybe she's out on an errand." Sayori suggested, skipping towards us.

"Then.." Yuri catches our attention speaking quietly. "Could we go back to that secret room?"

"Yeah! I've been wanting to come back there." Natsuki replies, grinning.

I chuckle. "Then let's go~!"

The four of us make our way down the empty hallways filled with books, and soon reach the one we were in before.

Sayori walks along the isle, her eyes quickly darting over each title before landing on the right book. "Here it is!" She exclaims, pulling the book downward.

I flinched as I heard the metallic click and buzz of the bookshelves moving to reveal the secret door again; I'm still not used to it.

The door is exposed, and Natsuki trots up to it first, turning the door handle and walking inside.  

"Wait up!" I laugh, following close behind her.

Once again, after Natsuki walked inside, the lights flickered on, illuminating the room that was the same from before.

I walk over to the podium where the strange history book was again, and open it, skimming through the words again.

So the Dark Essence is here, knows we're here, and wants us for our power? I sigh and flip the last page. Is feels so surreal, things are happening too fast.

I stare at the blank page in front of me. I suppose we'll be the ones deciding how this book will end, huh?