Chapter 1:Confusion

ELAINE'S POV

  As I read Batman: Hush, my best friend, Zora, invited herself into my house and said,"Girl, what are you doing?"

  I said,"Reading Batman: Hush. Are you okay with that?"

  Zora snatched the valuable comic book away from me and said,"No, I'm not okay with that. You've got to stop reading this stuff. Black girls don't read comic books."

  I carefully took my comic book back from Zora and replied,"Black girls do read comic books, and you should read them too. You don't do anything."

  Zora said,"I do things all the time. Relax, Elaine. Besides, I'm not here to talk about the way you spend your time. I'm here to talk about your ex-boyfriend."

  I immediately froze and subconsciously rubbed my arms.

  Zora sat down beside me and hugged me saying,"Elaine, I'm always here for you. He keeps asking me about you, and you know I've got your back. I just wanted to let you know to be on the lookout for him."

  I thanked her, and she said,"For your sake, I really wished you could be with Dick Grayson. He's actually cute."

  I gently nudged her saying,"Hey, back off. I liked him first. So, you do read comic books?"

  Zora shrugged and looked down at the floor saying,"Not really. I just take your comic books sometimes and read them, so I don't have to hear you talking so much."

  "I don't talk as much as you do."

  Zora made a face at me and said,"Elaine, don't lie. I expect more from you."

  I talked to Zora for a while, until she headed home. I locked my front door and headed over to my kitchen table. I had my stacks of Marvel and DC comics all over the table, but I had to pull out my bills from underneath my comics so that I wouldn't forget about the bills.
  I let out a sigh, realizing I would have to put in extra hours this week. It looked like one of my bills was higher than planned. After feeling tired just looking at my bills, I headed up the stairs and into my bedroom.

  I slowly laid down and wrapped the covers around myself. People always told me I had an issue with not taking things seriously, and maybe they were right. I often found myself fantasizing about what it would be like in Metropolis, Central City, or even Gotham. I wondered if I had ever gotten the chance to be in those places, what would I do?

  Eventually, I went to sleep.....

  But when I woke up, I wasn't in my bedroom anymore. The bed was much bigger. The room itself was the size of my bathroom and bedroom combined. There was a huge closet on the right side of me, and there were roses on the left side of me.

  I slowly looked over at the roses, deciding to wait to read the note attached to them.

  I walked over to the window and saw a billboard that said,"Welcome to Gotham."

  GOTHAM?!! I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA!

  I immediately went to pick up my phone, but it wasn't here. I looked around the room for something I could use to call my parents, Zora, anybody, but there was nothing here.
  After I had basically torn the room apart, I just decided to take a shower. Once I finished in the shower, I straightened my hair and chose an outfit from the closet. Everything was here that I would normally use, except for my phone.

  I fixed my shirt and picked up the roses off the bed, finally reading the note attached to them:

  Hey baby,

  Bruce needed me at Wayne Manor. I'll probably still be there when you wake up. When you do wake up, just come over and I'll see you then. And I'm sorry I left you alone.

  Love,

  N.W. (Nightwing).

  I kept looking between the roses and the note. Nightwing and I were..were together? Dick Grayson and I knew each other.

  What was going on? How could we be together, if I had just gotten here?

  "E, you ready to go?"

  Jason Todd stood just a couple of inches from me.

  Now, Jason Todd was here. If only my friends could see this.

  Knowing Jason's whole history, I just ran over to him and hugged him.

  Jason hugged me back and said,"It's good to see you too. You ready?"

  I said,"To go to Wayne Manor with..with you?"

  Jason chuckled and nodded saying,"Well, yeah, I'm your ride. Your husband sent me."

  I yelled,"HUSBAND?!!"

  Jason said,"What's your problem today? Dick's your husband. Have you two gotten a divorce already?"

  This was too much for me, a comic book fanatic. I lived in Gotham. I was married to Dick Grayson. I knew Jason Todd, which meant I also knew the Bat-family. Who else did I know? Who else was I going to be talking to?

  Jason frowned and asked me,"E, you okay?"

  "Yeah. I'm fine. Why?"

  I heard Jason calling my name before I passed out.