Chapter 4: Emotionally Attached

ELAINE'S POV

  I was able to talk Bruce into getting Zora a place to stay. Bruce, being Batman, asked so many questions and even became skeptical of the fact that I had never mentioned Zora before, but he eventually gave in. I only knew from this day forward, I was going to have to keep my story the same about Zora. I felt bad for lying, but I didn't even know how I had ended up here myself. I knew there had been comic book stories like this one before, but I couldn't even remember them. Those particular comics would have been really helpful right now.

  Maybe I should ask Dick, my husband. It felt good saying that because I had always thought of him as my husband anyway. Yet, here, he was actually my husband. Who knew what this was going to do to me when I returned to my other life?

  I made my way into Dick and I's bedroom, and he was asleep already. I noticed he was shivering a little bit, and I put another cover around him. I walked into the bathroom and put my scarf on then my bonnet. I looked at myself in the mirror before the door opened.

  Dick rubbed his eyes and said,"Are you almost done?"

  I thought he wanted to use the restroom, so I just nodded and stepped out of the bathroom. Instead, Dick picked me up and carried me over to the bed. He wrapped his arms around me and buried his face in my neck.

  I wrapped the covers around both of us, yet I asked Dick,"Do you ever wonder what it would be like if we weren't married or even together?"

  When Dick didn't respond after about a minute, I figured he was asleep.

  Until, he placed a kiss on my neck saying,"I've thought about it before, but it's something I rarely think about. I know you'll always be here. I know that.."

  That was my problem. I hadn't always been here, but to everyone else, I had been. Was there another me here as well, or was this something even deeper than that? Maybe once I was gone, another woman that was exactly like me would appear here and then take my place? I don't know...

  Dick made me look at him,"You're my wife, Elaine. If this is about your skin color again, I don't care. You're perfect, and I don't plan on divorcing you. Ever."

  Dick and I just stared at one another, before I just turned around and wrapped his arms back around me. He buried his face back in my neck, and I just listened to him breathing before I fell asleep.

............

  The next day, I met up with Zora, and Bruce drove us to S.T.A.R. Labs.

  Zora said,"I wonder what season they're in the middle of."

  I shook my head as Zora laughed.

  Bruce just looked at Zora confused, and I said,"Don't mind her, Bruce. She says stupid stuff when she's tired."

  Bruce nodded and said,"Elaine, the two of you be careful. Don't go looking for trouble."

  "I won't. We'll be careful. Bye, Batman."

  I took Zora's hand and dragged her inside of S.T.A.R. Labs. When we entered the area where the team was known to be, Barry, Caitlin, Cisco, and Iris were all in the room.

  Cisco was the first one to notice Zora and I, before he said,"Why, hello! Please come in. I still think you had the best wedding!"

  I just smiled at Cisco saying,"Thanks. That means a lot to me. This is my best friend, Zora."

  Cisco greeted Zora, before I said,"Barry, can I talk to you?"

  Barry said,"Yeah."

  Barry led us to the next room and asked me,"What's up?"

  I just said,"I don't know. I just don't know."

  Barry grabbed both of my arms and said,"Just breathe, Elaine. Talk to me. What's going on?"

  I took a couple deep breaths before I said to Barry, hoping not to sound too crazy,"Okay, so I'm not really from here. I'm from California. I've spent my whole life loving DC Comics and Marvel, but now I'm actually in a world where all of this is real and I'm a part of it. Not only am I a part of it, but I'm married to Dick Grayson. I'm married, and I can't even take care of myself!"

  Barry laughed at the last part, but I sighed saying,"I know it sounds really crazy, but you have to believe me, Barry."

  Barry squeezed my arms saying,"I believe you, Elaine, and I'll do what I can to figure out what's happening to you right now. For now, play the part. Don't say anything else (if you have already) about your real life, until we know whether it actually has an effect on what happens to you. Okay?"

  I nodded.

  Barry then asked me,"How did you know to come to me, then?"

  "You're really popular, and I know stuff about you."

  Barry just nodded himself, before he said,"This stays between you and me, okay? For now.."

  When I didn't answer, I looked down and Barry lifted my chin.

  He said to me,"You cannot tell Dick. You may need him in order to leave. We don't know anything yet, and it may make things worse if he is against you."

  "I won't tell him or anyone else. Wait, can I tell Zora?"

  Barry asked me,"Can Zora keep her mouth shut?"

  "It depends."

  "That decision's up to you, Elaine, but the goal is to get the two of you back home."