Chapter 11: Caring

DICK'S POV

  I couldn't go to sleep. I couldn't. Elaine could've been up any second now, and I wanted her to be able to see me. I should've been awake to protect her, but I was asleep then. Maybe if I could've-

  "Dick, it's not your fault."

  Tim crossed his arms as I said,"It was my fault. I wasn't watching her, and then this happened. She's already been having a hard time with having to go home and then she gets hurt. I'm supposed to be the one that's there for her."

  Tim replied,"Dick, you and I both know that many people that we have loved or cared about have gotten hurt without us knowing. We can't see everything. We just can't, but it won't do anyone any good putting the guilt on ourselves."

  I sighed, and then I asked Tim,"How's Zora? Is she okay?"

  Tim motioned over to Jason, who was talking to Zora.

  Tim smiled as he said,"Jason's making her laugh and keeping her positive, so she's doing well. I'm going to hate seeing her go, but it's for the best."

  I nodded saying,"Yeah, it is. They have other lives and we have to respect that, no matter how much it hurts."

   ZORA'S POV

  How long before Elaine woke up? I needed her to wake up, so I could hit her for scaring me. I really just wanted to talk to her, because I didn't know if I'd get the chance to do it again.

  Jason nudged me and said,"Do you talk a lot where you come from too?"

  I mocked him, before I said,"I don't talk a lot, and even if I did, I wouldn't care who had a problem with it. Do you have a problem with it, Jason?"

  Jason nodded saying,"I do."

  I couldn't help but smile at him, then he said,"Elaine's going to be fine."

  "It doesn't make me feel any better when you say it, Jason."

  Jason chuckled saying,"You're real annoying."

  I pushed him, before Tim sat down on my left side.

  I rested my head on his shoulder and said,"Do you think I'm the best black girl on the planet?"

  Tim looked down at me and replied,"I do think you are the best black girl on the planet. I'm really going to miss you."

  "I'll miss you too, but I know you won't forget me. You care too much about me."

   BRUCE'S POV

  Because of what happened to Elaine, I wanted to let Barry know that Elaine and Zora couldn't go home today.

  The first thing he said was,"Bruce, this is to help them. Why can't they leave?"

  I told him,"Elaine is in critical condition, and Zora is worried about her best friend. Until Elaine is awake and clear to leave, there is no way they're leaving."

  Barry said,"Okay, Bruce. Just keep me updated on Elaine."

   DICK'S POV

  When Elaine finally woke up a couple of days later, I made sure I was the first face she saw.

  She was in tears as she said,"I...I didn't think I was-"

  I kissed her forehead and said,"Shh. You're safe now. I'm just glad we found you."

  She said,"Dick, the other me she was the one who was in the car with me."

  I nodded saying,"She came to me and Zora and told us where to find you, but only if I did something for her."

  Elaine frowned and asked me,"What did you have to do for her?"

  I replied,"I had to get her a way out of Gotham."

  Elaine nodded and hugged me as she said,"At least I can say that Dick Grayson came to save me."

  I chuckled and said,"You can say that now."

   ELAINE'S POV

  I wasn't dead, even though I thought I was going to be not too long after the car went into the water. I knew I was lucky that I had been found when I did, because I wouldn't be up to think about it right now.

  When Damian, Tim, Jason, Bruce, and Zora ran into the room, Zora beat everyone to me and slapped me saying,"You are the worst best friend on the planet!!"

  I chuckled saying,"Thank you. I appreciate the compliment."

  Zora said,"Elaine, stop messing around. I'm being serious. You..You could've.."

  I pulled Zora in for a hug before everyone else joined in on the hug.