Chapter 7: The Truth

ELAINE'S POV

  Barry stood beside me as he said,"Elaine, you're in a dangerous position. You can't stay here for much longer. All these things that are happening are because you're still here, along with Zora. I do believe that the other you will remain here, but things can change. You have to tell Dick who you are, and you need to talk to Dominic."

  I looked over at Barry saying,"Why do I need to talk to Dominic? I just thought it had something to do with him, but I'm not sure about it, Barry. I'm not."

  Barry looked into my brown eyes as he said,"Elaine, you felt the way you did for a reason. You told me that your love for comics really started after you left Dominic, right? What if this is about you being able to tell him what you couldn't tell him before?"

  "But, what did that have to do with letting me be married to Dick Grayson?"

  Barry wrapped an arm around me saying,"We can't always get what we really want, Elaine, but this was your chance to get what you wanted. And you have that, but these things don't last forever."

  I remained quiet for a few minutes before I said,"Take me to Dick. I'll tell him."

  Barry nodded saying,"You're doing the right thing."

  Barry ran me to Wayne Manor, where Dick was working on his motorcycle with Bruce.

  Barry said to me,"Good luck."

  He ran off, and I headed over to Dick and Bruce.

  Bruce smiled at me saying,"Hey, Elaine. You're up early."

  "I had to get an early start this morning. Can I borrow Dick for a couple of minutes?"

  Bruce nodded, and I led Dick over to the other side of Wayne Manor.

  When I let go of his arm, he took both of my hands and asked me,"What is it?"

  "I..I need to tell you something. I just..I really don't want you to hate me. You may hate me after this. You may even send Batman after me, but I want you to understand that I didn't want to risk messing everything up, especially with you."

  "I could never hate you, Elaine. Just tell me whatever you have to tell me. I'm sure I've dealt with worse things before."

  Dick winked at me, trying to lighten the mood, but I just said what I had to say,"Okay, so my name's Elaine Allen, but I'm not really married to you. At least it has always appeared that way to you, but I literally encountered another me that claimed she was your wife. She said some other things, but I don't think that's my place to tell you. I genuinely thought that maybe this could have been some alternate reality or something, but I did see the other me. I'm not sure about all of this stuff that's going on right now, but I can tell you that my real name is Elaine Allen and I'm not from here. I've actually been a fan of yours for many, many years and I've always loved you from afar and through a book or television screen, but never in person. And now that I'm standing here seeing your facial expression, I'm not sure whether I should run away or stay where I am right now."

  Dick remained quiet and still, before he said to me,"I had a feeling something was going on, but I ignored it. You know, Elaine, I'm sure you know that I've been betrayed many times in my life, but I don't consider this to be one of those times. I understand why you didn't say anything. This isn't home to you. You don't know why you're here, but I'm glad you're here. I'm glad you were honest with me and that you decided to tell me. It tells me a lot about you. The time I've spent with you, I've really enjoyed it. I just knew there was a possibility that you weren't her, and you're not. You're Elaine Allen, and I want you to stay."

  Dick rested his forehead against my own and wiped my tears as he said,"I know you can't stay, but I'd be willing to be with you for as long as I can. Even if it was only two more days, I'd take it."

  I pulled him in for a kiss before I said,"I love you, Dick Grayson."

  He rubbed my back as he said,"I love you, Elaine Grayson."

  I said,"But I'm not really-"

  "You're Elaine Grayson to me."