Chapter 13: Time to Go

ELAINE'S POV

  Barry asked me,"How much time do you need, Elaine?"

  I said,"As much as you can give me. I'll make this fast. I understand how valuable time is. I learned that from you."

  Barry smiled at me, before I turned to look at everyone. Zora was already hugging Tim. I know she looked like she was doing all right right now, but she was going to show me that she wasn't all right the second it was just the two of us.

  Damian ran up to me and hugged my waist.

  I felt his tears against my shirt as he cried saying,"Elaine, don't leave yet."

  I rubbed his back as I said,"I have to go. You won't even notice I'm gone."

  "Yes, I will notice. You're not annoying like everyone else, and you care about me. You have to stay."

  I reached into my bag and held out my Metropolis hat for Damian to take.

  He slowly took it from me and I said,"I got this when Dick showed me around Metropolis not too long ago. I remember how good it made me feel then, but all of you have also made me feel really special. You have. Sometimes, Damian, it's really hard to feel that way. I want you to keep this hat for me. You can remember me by keeping it safe for me. Okay?"

  Damian nodded and said,"I will, Elaine."

  I kissed his forehead, before Damian stood beside Bruce.

  When Zora finally let go of Tim, Tim walked up to me next and said,"I'm glad I got the chance to get to know you, Elaine."

  "You too, Timothy. Hey, don't worry about Zora. I've got that crazy black woman under control."

  Zora yelled,"Thanks, Elaine! That's so sweet!"

  Tim and I both laughed, before I held out my hand for him to shake.

  Instead, he pulled me in for a hug and said,"Take care of yourself, Elaine. You deserve the best."

  I was trying not to cry, but everyone was making it so hard.

  I returned his hug and whispered,"Thank you."

  He pulled away from the hug, and then Jason walked over to me.

  He just smiled at me and I said,"Is that a smile, Todd? Are you mocking me?"

  Jason shook his head saying,"It's not a smile, and I'm not mocking you."

  I said,"It's a smile, Todd. It's a smile."

  Jason replied,"All right, it's a smile, because I'm actually going to miss you. I'm going to miss you the most."

  Bruce said,"That's not true."

  Alfred said,"I will miss, Mrs. Grayson, the most."

  I smiled before I looked back at Jason saying,"I'm going to really miss you too, Jase. Bring it in."

  Jason hugged me, yet he didn't pull away from the hug.

  I said,"Jason, let me go."

  He said,"I can't."

  Tears fell down my face as I held Jason tighter.

  When he finally pulled away from the hug, he said,"Try to see all of us again, if you can."

  Alfred approached me next and said,"There will always be a room available to you at Wayne Manor. If you ever find your way back here again, please visit."

  "I will. I wouldn't go anywhere else."

  Alfred handed me a big batch of cookies. I handed the cookies to Zora.

  Bruce said,"Come back soon, Elaine."

  I sniffed and said,"I'll do my best. Thank you for helping me out when I needed help. Thank you for actually talking to me."

  Bruce nodded to me and replied,"Elaine, you're welcome. There was no reason for me to not help you. You never gave me a reason not to help you."

  I hugged him before he hugged me back. He kissed my forehead and talked to me some more, until it was time for me to say goodbye to Dick Grayson.

  He met me halfway and said,"I just want you to know that I've had to let go of many people in my life, good and bad, but you're probably going to be the hardest one, Elaine. I feel it.."

  I put my hand over my mouth, and he smiled weakly at me. He pulled me close and rested his forehead against my own.

  I broke down and rested my hand on his face saying,"I love you so much."

  He said,"I love you so much more. I only wish you the best, Elaine. No matter who you may end up with, you'll always be my wife. No one can take that away from you. You'll know and that's enough."

  "Dick..."

  Tears poured down Dick's face, and he pulled me in for a long kiss. By the time he pulled away, I pulled him back in for another kiss before I had to force myself to let him breathe.

  Dick moved my hair back saying,"Go, Mrs. Grayson. You've got somewhere to be."

  I closed my eyes.

  Dick said,"Elaine, go. It's okay. I'll be all right. I promise."

  I slowly let go of Dick, then I looked back at everyone saying,"Thank you."

  They all smiled at me, through their tears, before I walked over to Barry.

  I said,"Red's your color. Thanks for finding Zora and I a way home."

  Barry pulled me in for a side hug saying,"Thank you, and you're welcome."

  Once I walked over to Zora, I said,"Let's do this. Together."

  Zora took my hand, then we waved to everyone. Sooner than I hoped, we were brought back to my home in San Diego, California.