~ Nightmares ~

"No... no..." Rayla mumbled in her sleep. With one final gasp, she jolted upright in a cold sweat, her breathing coming out in sharp, uneven puffs as tears rolled down her cheeks.

Beside her, her prince stirred, and she cursed herself for waking him up yet again. This was the third time this week she'd woken up in hysterics and she hated herself for it. "Rayla?" Callum shifted on his side of the bed, turning to face her. "Are you ok, love?"

"No." She sobbed, her hand rose to her mouth.

"What happened?" Callum asked, but she knew he was already aware. He wrapped his arms around her, cradling her head against his shoulder. Reassuring words and sweet nothings were whispered in her ear and the tears that were tumbling down her cheeks slowly subsided.

"It was that nightmare again wasn't it?" He coaxed after a beat of silence. "He's gone Ray, you pushed him off a cliff. Last time I checked; you don't survive stuff like that. He can't hurt anyone, he's gone." Rayla could tell Callum was growing concerned. The nightmares that plagued her this week had become worse, driving her into hysterics when she awoke.

When she said nothing Callum whispered, "Look at me." He gazed into her violet eyes and gently brushed his thumbs over her cheeks, wiping the tears away. With his forehead against hers, he planted a gentle kiss on her lips.

"We'll get through this, together." He reassured. Rayla nodded silently and placed her head on her boyfriend's chest. Quietly she spoke, trying to convey all the adoration she felt for him. "I love you, Callum."

"I love you, too, Rayla."

It had been 4 years since the final battle. Rayla and Callum had just begun to settle into everyday life again. But that's when the nightmares started. She had dreams, dreams of her parents, dreams of coins in a brown leather sack, dreams that Viren was alive. Little did she know these somewhat random dreams would all be connected—intertwined you could say. Nothing would prepare the assassin and her prince for what they would come to face. It might turn out to be their worst nightmares...