~ The Coin ~

"You both need rest. You got off lucky, only a few cuts and bruises." The doctor said as she wrapped a bandage around Rayla's upper arm. "You may go home, but take it easy."

They walked home silently. Callum knew Rayla was more upset than she was letting on, she had a bad habit of concealing her feelings, and letting them build up inside. He wanted to say something but he decided to let her process her emotions before he did. It was sunset when they returned home, and the treetops glistened with fiery orange.

"How are you feeling Ray?" Callum asked gently, placing a hand on her uninjured shoulder.

"I'm fine Callum! But we need to catch up with Claudia, we need to save my parents!" Rayla brushed him off and started to pack her backpack. But Callum was persistent.

"Rayla, stop!" Callum called as he chased her around the house. "You need rest, you took a massive blow!"

"I'm fine Callum!"

"Fine, if you're so 'fine' then take me down."

"What?"

"If you are fine this should be easy. All you have to do is take me down."

"I'm not going to hurt you, Callum!"

"Well then you're not leaving," Callum said intentionally riling her up.

"Fine! But you asked for this!"

Rayla came at Callum, fist first, but he swiftly dodged it and she went flying straight onto the bed. She charged at him again, attempting to tackle him at the waist. But ended up on the floor wincing in pain when her injured shoulder collided with his hip.

"Argh!" Rayla exclaimed angrily.

"Come on Rayla. Let this go, she's long gone. We'll focus on finding her in the morning." Callum pulled her into his arms.

As much as Rayla was enjoying Callum's warm embrace, something caught her eye. The sunset's golden rays were reflecting off something on the windowsill.

"What is that?" Rayla questioned as she approached the window.

"What's what?"

A turmoil of emotions began to swell in Rayla's mind like waves crashing on the shore. It was him, it was Runaan! But despite that instantaneous joy, it was quickly overcome with a sense of terrible dread. What was she going to do? He was trapped by the forces of dark magic, imprisoned; held within a place worse than death. How was she supposed to feel?

"We have to do something, Callum!" Rayla exclaimed frantically.

"Rayla, it's late. Don't do this again. You need to rest, we'll sleep on it and find a solution in the morning. There's no point in doing anything now" Callum said rather convincingly.

He was right Rayla thought, but she knew she wouldn't sleep a wink.

----------

"What do you mean you didn't finish the spell?!" Viren shouted furiously.

"Dad, you don't understand! They caught me off guard!" Claudia cried back.

"I told you this was a bad idea, but did you listen? No!"

"I didn't hear you coming up with any bright ideas," Aaravos interrupted.

"Well maybe if you had let me speak I would have!" Viren yelled angrily.

"Enough!" Aaravos roared, "I'm sick of your arguing! Be quiet and let me think!"

Viren stood up. He was sick of this elf, who he barely knew, bossing him around like his servant. As a matter of fact, he had had enough.

"You know what? I'm sick of your mind games, I'm sick of you playing the all-powerful leader who thinks he's so great!" Viren declared.

"Oh? Is that so?" Aaravos scoffed, "Well then you have no use for me anymore. My plan is much bigger than you could ever imagine, you were just a pawn on my chessboard, a single piece in my massive puzzle..."

"Wha-"

Aaravos conjured a massive dark rune before yelling "Mortiferis!"

The spell shot straight into Viren's chest slamming him against the cave wall. Claudia ran to his side, crying and shrieking.

"Dad!" She cried, shaking him frantically "Wake up!"

"He's gone, Claudia," Aaravos spoke bleakly.

"No! No!" Tears dripped down her cheeks as she cradled her father's lifeless body.

"Now, now, don't cry," Aarvos said as he pulled her hair out of her face, "He wasn't worth it anyway..."

"You bastard!" Claudia yelled, looking up at him with fire in her eyes.

"Oh, not you too... You are much too exceptional to meet the same fate..."

The cave fell silent as Aaravos left, leaving Claudia alone. Without hesitation she began to pack her stuff, there was only one person who had any chance of understanding her, and that person was Callum. But earning his trust would prove a difficult task, the days to come would not be easy, but now she realized which side she should be fighting for...