~ Freedom ~

Rayla and Callum found themselves lying back in the moon nexus, but not the nexus they knew. This one was far from destroyed. Stunning runes shimmer on the grand arches over their heads, and the whole nexus was teaming with life. Moodstriders and Shadowpaws ran around freely frolicking in the moonlight. Moon phoenixes and moths took to the sky letting the way of the wind guide them. The whole scene was breathtaking. Callum glanced to his side noticing Rayla a few meters away from him.

"Rayla!" He called

Her head spun in his direction fear overwhelming her expression, she backed away slowly.

"What's wrong?" He asked concerned.

"I-is it really you?" She stammered.

"Of course it's me? Who else would it be?"

"Oh thank god!" She ran into his arms, hugging him tightly.

He did the same wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Um, Ray?" Callum winced, "Shoulder."

"Oh! I'm sorry!" She exclaimed jumping backwards.

"No, don't worry. I love having you in my arms, just maybe a little less tightly." He chuckled, pulling her back into his chest. She held his face with both her hands and kissed him passionately. He deepened the kiss feeling Rayla's elegant curves.

When they broke apart for air, she remembered why they went on this journey in the first place. "Did we make it?" She asked.

"You did." A voice cut in.

Callum and Rayla turned their heads abruptly in the direction the voice came from. A strange being of light stood there. It had the figure of a human but an extraterrestrial glow like that of an angel.

"Have you been here the whole time?!" Callum said blushing, he and Rayla's moment was a little 'touchier' than usual.

"I was." Both of their faces became more flushed, "But I did not want to interrupt your moment," The voice explained.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" Rayla questioned, changing the subject.

"I am the guardian of the nexus. You are the first people to pass the test in decades. It seems your love is stronger than your temptation, well done."

"Thanks." They said in unison, blushing again.

"So why are you here, risking your life like this?" The being questioned.

Rayla composed herself, then began to speak, "We need your help." She stepped forward tipping the coins into the palm of her hand, "Can you help them? Please."

The being took the coins from Rayla's hand and placed them in the centre of the runic circle they were standing on. "As you wish."

Rayla grasped Callum's hand tightly, fear and anticipation making her restless. "What am I going to say to them Callum," She whispered in his ear. "Just be yourself." He whispered back.

The being spoke in a language Rayla had never heard before, "Dimittis his capti animarum!" It yelled shooting beams of light from the palms of its hands. An explosion of colours occurred leaving a thick cloud of smoke.

The first to emerge from the cloud was Runaan, he was clutching his upper arm, which was a deep violet in colour.

"Runaan your binding!" Rayla exclaimed rushing to his side. "Can you help him, she pleaded to the being once more." 

That it did. With a snap of its fingers, the binding turned a scarlet colour before dropping to the ground.

"Rayla?" Runaan said putting his hands on her shoulders, "You're so... so... much older! How long was I gone?"

Before she could answer his question Runaan's gaze turned to the human behind them. He reached for his bow instinctually but realised it was not there. Panic struck Callum as he realised the last time he saw Runaan was when he tried to kill him. 

Rayla rushed in front of Callum, knowing that without her there Runaan would snap his neck in a heartbeat. "It's not what you think! He's here to help us, to help me! I wouldn't be here without him." She declared, grabbing Callum's hand. Before rage could overtake Runaan another voice spoke; a woman.

"What happened?" She groaned.

"Where are we?" Another male voice spoke.

"Lain?" The woman whimpered.

"Tiadrin?" The two elves rushed into each other's arms.

"Tiadrin! Lain!" Runaan gasped, "What are you doing here? How dare you show your faces!" As angry as Runaan was, Rayla could see he was happy to finally reunite with his best friends. 

"They didn't betray us Runaan!" Rayla yelled, "They fought! They were the only ones that did!"

Tiadrin stared at the young woman protesting in front of them, tears began to drip down her cheeks, she knew those gorgeous violet eyes anywhere. It was her daughter, it was Rayla! But how?

"What is it, Tia?" Lain asked puzzled.

She gave him an 'are you blind!' kind of look before focusing back to Rayla.

"My baby girl!" She sobbed, hands over her mouth in shock. Lain's eyes widened as he realised who was standing in front of them.

"Mum... Dad." She sobbed back. 

Her parents stared at her in awe of what a powerful young woman she had become, "How long has it been?" Tiadrin asked.

Rayla could barely form a coherent sentence, so instead, she mumbled, "F-fourteen years."

"How is that possible! That would make you eighteen!"

"S-seventeen, my birthday's in 3 weeks." She replied, tears dripping down her cheeks.

"Come here" Tiadrin insisted, arms outstretched. Rayla gladly accepted her embrace, and Lain did the same.

"Look this is all well and good. But is anyone going to address the fact that there is a human right there!" Runaan roared, gesturing to Callum angrily...