~ Changing Times ~

"Rayla!" A voice yelled, emerging into the clearing.

Rayla opened her eyes, blade still at her throat. Callum was standing there with a frightened and panicked look on his face. He put his hands out in front of him gesturing for her to stop.

"Please Rayla! I can't lose you like this, you mean too much to me!" He fretted. She could hear the fear in his voice. 

"You don't understand!" She sobbed.

"Well then help me understand!" He pleaded, "I'm here for you, don't ever give up!"

"But I- This-"

"I'm begging you Rayla, don't leave me. I love you."

Rayla froze, what the hell was she thinking? Leaving this world meant leaving Callum, she was so caught up in her own emotions, that she didn't even stop to think how Callum would feel; how her family would feel. Callum approached her slowly, never losing contact with her gorgeous violet eyes. He cautiously reached for her hand, and gradually brought the blade away from her throat. As soon as he was sure it was far enough away that she was safe, he pulled it from her grasp and threw it onto the ground. Rayla fell into his arms sobbing hysterically.

"I'm so sorry!" Rayla bawled, "I'm sorry I-"

"Don't," Callum said firmly, "don't apologise, you have nothing to be sorry for."

"But I-"

"I promised you that we were in this together, nothing's changed," He whispered soothingly, planting a tender kiss on her forehead. Rayla clung to him, burying her face in his broad chest. She wept quietly, melting into his embrace.

----------

As Rayla pulled away from Callum, he realised there was a shallow cut on her neck from where the blade was pressing against it; nothing serious, but it probably needed a dressing and bandage.

"We should probably head back," Callum suggested,  "are you ok to walk?"

"I am, but what about Runaan? Oh god, I left you alone with him! He didn't hurt you did he?"

"Just a bruise to my shin, I'm alright" Callum smiled earnestly.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure. I'm more worried about you," he insisted glancing back at her neck.

"I'll deal with Runaan. You look after my daughter." Tiadrin interrupted. 

Callum had forgotten she was there; he hadn't heard her speak this whole time. Her expression was full of perpetual sorrow, still processing what had just happened he presumed.

They began to make their way back through the forest. Tiadrin had gone ahead to enlighten Runaan and Lain of what had happened and try to convince them not to kill Callum when he got back. The morale was low so Callum decided it's time that Rayla cheered up. 

"Hey, Ray?"

"Oh no, I know that look." She whined.

"Remember when Ez saw us kiss for the first time?"

"Um, yes?"

"Yeah well, I couldn't help but notice the massive blush that painted your cheeks. You were red as a tomato!" He grinned giving her a little nudge with his shoulder.

"Oh talk about my blush! What about your's!" Rayla retaliated, giving Callum a playful shove.

He gave her a cocky smirk before throwing her over his shoulder carrying her fisherman-style. She pounded her fists on his back in protest.

"Callum!" She squealed, "Put me down!"

"You know you're extra cute when you're mad," He remarked in a flirty tone.

"You're gonna regret this!" She snickered, trying to sound somewhat like a warrior and not so girly.

"Alright! Alright fine!" He chuckled putting her down.

"You know you're super annoy-"

His lips stifled her words as he initiated a zealous kiss, cupping her face with his hand. She didn't object, despite the fact that his audacity was infuriating.

"Sorry, what was that?" He murmured against her lips when they broke apart.

"Nothing." She breathed, pressing her lips against his once more.

---------

Runaan and Lain gave Callum an irritable look when they arrived back at the nexus, but he didn't take much notice. The only thing that mattered to him was that Rayla was ok, that's all he ever wanted. His hand reached for hers interlocking their fingers. Rayla felt relieved at the fact she and Callum were no longer a secret. She missed holding his hand and being in his arms and seeing his heartfelt smile every morning. 

"I've spoken to your father and we've all agreed you may stay together tonight. On the condition, you don't do anything stupid." Stated Tiadrin.

Realising what she was implying, Callum and Rayla's faces became flush.

"Mum!" Rayla snapped.

"Ok! Sorry! Come on your father wants to talk to you."

Callum, realising he had no place in this conversation, went back to his room. After sitting down and drawing for a while, suddenly he felt a searing pain in his shoulder. I thought the wound had almost healed! He thought anxiously. Taking off his jacket and looking in the mirror, he was relieved to see that his lacerations had healed leaving only mere scars; but was unnerved to see that said scars were turning... purple? A strong breeze blew through his room flipping the pages of his sketchbook. Fear overwhelmed him as he saw the page it had turned to. My sketch of the creature? But how? I drew that in a dream!